Dropping 3u Maths for 3u Language? (1 Viewer)

Jolteon

HSC
Hey guys! Current Year 11 somewhat struggling with Extension 1 Mathematics and now thinking about picking up Extension Japanese for Year 12 and dropping Maths. Not sure if it's a wise idea. I haven't received my ranking yet but percentages are around 60-70%~ after 2 exams.
Would love thoughts on scaling and how tough/amount of effort required for an extension language course too!
Also, it seems like my school doesn't offer the subject so I will have to do Open High for the language so any thoughts, opinions and comments on Open High and how it works would be great :)

Thankyou! Will update with rankings once I receive them, along with my report.

blackbird_14

HSC
It's your choice whether you choose to drop ext, but I'd wait until your ranks come out until you make a final judgment.

With open high school, if you're a self motivated learner, it's great, but otherwise, the frees you get from it can distract you instead. Also, I think they have some requirement which makes you take 10 units at school + open high units, but you've have to check.

bujolover

HSC
Hey guys! Current Year 11 somewhat struggling with Extension 1 Mathematics and now thinking about picking up Extension Japanese for Year 12 and dropping Maths. Not sure if it's a wise idea. I haven't received my ranking yet but percentages are around 60-70%~ after 2 exams.
Would love thoughts on scaling and how tough/amount of effort required for an extension language course too!
Also, it seems like my school doesn't offer the subject so I will have to do Open High for the language so any thoughts, opinions and comments on Open High and how it works would be great :)

If you don't like Maths and are struggling at it, feel free to replace it with Japanese (as long as you enjoy it, though). 3U Maths is higher scaling than Japanese, but I don't think there's any point in pursuing it if you can't do it. I have to agree with blackbird about Open High, though, because if, like me, you are an epic procrastinator who will jump at the opportunity to not have a teacher sitting there practically watching them, it won't work in your favour, because you still have to study, and no study means no A. :/ So consider the pros and cons before deciding...

stopcrying

HSC
i know for my school 60-70% was below average and i was also in this range but in year 12 i have gotten 83%/88.5%/91% with trials to go. Thus, i think you should persevere with extension maths. In my opinion, extension maths is easier in year 12 because of how many past papers and resources you have at your disposal (past papers are the best tool for studying maths imo).

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Jolteon

Have you exhausted all possibilities at improving your MX1? Are you having tutoring? If not, a good tutor may greatly boost your grades, provided you are not completely hopeless at maths. When discouraged or frustrated, tendency is for an escapist route - but your Ext Japanese may well be jumping from a frying pan into the fire. You still have time to improve, with the right guidance.

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad

I’m not sure about your decision since I don’t really know what you do in extension Japanese, but from my experience, open high school is quite good but only if you’re motivated!!

I did Japanese Beginners through open high for year 11 (so yeah I’m not sure if all of this applies to ext jap). They provided heaps of notes on Moodle which gave exactly what I needed to know for the course. I could spam email as many questions as I needed to. As for hw, I got weekly worksheets that my school mailed to get marked/get feedback on, and I had weekly phone calls with my assigned teacher, who was able to pinpoint my weaknesses (and it also forced me to practice speaking in Jap).

Again, I’m not sure about extension Japanese/HSC procedures but a majority of my assessments were taken online rather than IRL which I found quite dodgy...

But obviously it’s not the same as learning in a classroom. You have to be self-motivated and set your own study timetable for the subject – it was quite easy for me to forget that it was one of my subjects I had to study for. This was one of the reasons I dropped it in year 12 tbh, I didn’t think I would be able to force myself to work on the subject during the week.

So yeah, that was my experience at open high school, if that helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)