How to study effectively (1 Viewer)

highshill

HSC
My exam results are terrible I got 50 for everything how can improve my result for eng adv, bio, physics, chem, ancient history, maths, not my fault school has terrible teachers, they expect us to learn ourselves unfortunately.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
If you can afford it maybe consider getting a private tutor especially for English since most teachers don't mark more than 1 or 2 drafts

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Learning by yourself is common in our school due to flipped classroom approach, and this method (I think) applies to university where you study a lot of stuff at home. Get a tutor or ask more questions to your teacher.

bujolover

HSC
My exam results are terrible I got 50 for everything how can improve my result for eng adv, bio, physics, chem, ancient history, maths, not my fault school has terrible teachers, they expect us to learn ourselves unfortunately.
Just asking- do they give you homework to do (not assessments)? If they don't, then use the precious time you save by not doing pointless homework that will be checked by the teacher to do EXTRA WORK. Do you have any books (study guides) to use as an extra reference on top of your school-issued textbooks? If so, USE THEM TO YOUR ADVANTAGE. If you have no extra books, use BoS resources and your school textbook to try and work your way through each course.
Unfortunately, when we don't have good teachers, learning can feel like more of a hassle as it's all on you to learn the material, which can lead to demotivation for a particular subject, which means we don't study it as much (this is happening to me, but I'm slowly getting over it now). So, if you don't feel motivated enough to self-study, get a tutor, like jazz519 suggests, for your weakest subject (or two, if you can afford it).

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
I think according to what everyone has said, you will need to learn by yourself

Regarding studying for your subjects you need to find out what method of study works for you best

Eng Adv: know your quotes, write practice essays and get lots of feedback, read your texts, etc

Bio+Phys: know your content inside out through understanding them conceptually (i.e. videos) and memorising what you need to memorise

Ancient history: I presume it's the same?

Maths: do lots of practice questions. Start from easier to hard. Make sure you learn from mistakes

Feel free to ask if you need me to expand on anything :)

highshill

HSC
How should I get English feedback my teacher feedback is always changing the feedback making me very confused and as a result I am always lost what she want is there apps on English advanced.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
How should I get English feedback my teacher feedback is always changing the feedback making me very confused and as a result I am always lost what she want is there apps on English advanced.
Are you sure they're changing or does your writing just keep changing each time? You can't always blame the teacher because 70% of the work is down to the student in the end because at my school the chem class mostly self studies which is probably what you have to do.

highshill

HSC
Pikachu975 I totally agree with you that it's up to the student 100% but my situation is a too complicated to explain if you ever come to my English class you will understand exactly what I am trying to say:awesome:. But I am still determined to get a band 6 in English advanced, and really need feed back any suggestions?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Pikachu975 I totally agree with you that it's up to the student 100% but my situation is a too complicated to explain if you ever come to my English class you will understand exactly what I am trying to say:awesome:. But I am still determined to get a band 6 in English advanced, and really need feed back any suggestions?
Tell us about the situation then, I'm sure you're not the only one with a bad teacher

highshill

HSC
Hello pikachu975 I've noticed that you have taken bio and physics are your HSC course is the course hard to achieve a high band 6

Thanks

highshill

HSC
Jazz519 I have considered your suggestion to find a tutor do you know any cheap tutor centre that teach extremely well

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Jazz519 I have considered your suggestion to find a tutor do you know any cheap tutor centre that teach extremely well
If it's English I wouldn't advise you go to a tutoring centre because those classes are in groups so you can't get that much individual help. I went to matrix for Chem and physics, but they are pretty expensive. Have a look at the tutoring forum for the tutors

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hello pikachu975 I've noticed that you have taken bio and physics are your HSC course is the course hard to achieve a high band 6

Thanks
Of course it's hard which the scaling makes up for, but it's achievable if you study effectively and have a passion for science. Usually first in the state is like 99 or 98 since you need to be specific in a lot of answers.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
How come your teachers are terrible? Is your school in Sydney or a country school? Is a Sydney school, is it very lowly-ranked? Are your classmates also doing badly or just a minority like you? What do you mean by "expect us to learn ourselves everything" - don't the teachers teach, or at least make an effort to?

Find someone to have a good look at your situation and determine the key reasons for your performance and identify ways to get you out of your present situation.

Can it be that you do not have the right approach to studying?

Last edited:

highshill

HSC
I understand your point drongoski but that is the whole my cohort scores those marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)