Any Public Speaking Advice/Tips? (1 Viewer)

bujolover

HSC
Hi guys,
I'm interested in trying out for a few public speaking competitions, but since I've never really gotten far in them before (in fact, I've never placed in any), I'd like some advice, preferably from past winners/people who have gotten far.
I'm assuming a lot of my competitors are going to be really good, so how do I make sure I have an advantage over them? How can I at least come 3rd place? XD

What exactly is the "best" speech structure (I'm looking at 5-6 minute speeches, FYI)? How can I move the audience emotionally? Stuff like that.

I know there's stuff online, but they're mostly written by adults and Americans. I want to know stuff from an Aussie high school student's perspective, because, after all, the judges are not going to be expecting speeches presented at the level of a 40-year-old.

Any good advice at all is appreciated! :)

highshill

HSC
First can you tell me what type of speech is it an assignment on some subject or a international competition

highshill

HSC
Give direct eye contact, I know this is scary :drink:but look at everyone.
Use rhetorical questions engage your audience use satire, challenge your audience do not use cliche as this is really boring from my opinion as it is sort of seen it been there technique.
Change your tone, I cannot express how important this is try to change your tone in each paragraph. You aren't saying an essay you are saying a speech.
If this is a public competition choose a topic you like

More too come

blackbird_14

HSC
Idk if this is going to be of any use, but here's my two cents.

Apart form all the usual presentation tips that are abundant (eye contact etc.), try to give your speech with minimal use of palm cards. That why there's nothing between you and the audience and you get that sense of connection, and they believe you more that you know what you're taking about. Having a few points down on a card is fine, but try to limit yourself (but if the competition allows for copious amount of Palm cards I guess go ahead?).

Choke a topic that you're genuinely interested about. It'll come out as more geninue and hence people will be more interested in what you've got to say.

Start with a different introductory bit, "stand out of the crowd" as they say. I like having a circular structure to my speeches, ie. relating my conclusion to the introduction. For example, (I've only done English speeches here so I can't really help you on public comps) I made references to many other "star-crossed lovers" in contemporary culture like Katniss and Peeta, when doing Romeo and Juliet, and then at the end I challenged my audience to loo at events in the world to find other examples of this and the lessons we can learn.

Another idea for an introduction/conclusion bit is to repeat the same line you've used at the very beginning to draw your audiences attention to it.

Apart from that, generally use shorter sentences and repeat key ideas at the beginning, middle and end of paragraphs/topic body, with appropriate links to the next topic.

If this (contradictal at times) advice helped you, that's great :)

bowie

HSC
Yeah, as kinda stated above rhetorical questions make your listeners think about what you're saying in relation to their context and what they know... That helps, it's engaging and imo the key to a good speech is involving your audience in it. Don't just speak, speak to them.

flowerp

HSC
N/A
I don't know if there is going to be impromptu at your comp, but a good tip is that you always give advice, write your main ideas down rather than the whole speech, and have an argument - so choose a side, for example if your speech is 'raising the bar', maybe argue why we should raise the bar in a certain area like education, and have points to support your argument. This makes your impromptu solid. Also, watch/read the news daily, because if you incorporate recent events into your impromptu it will definitely stand out as you appear knowledgeable.

As Blackbird mentioned, try and have a hook which slowly leads in to your main point. It's good to have an extended metaphor, symbol, or some sort of comparison. For example, if your topic is about nature - maybe you can compare humans and nature as opponents in a battle idk .... Anecdotes are also good but you have to make sure they're not cliche and do not diminish the seriousness of your topic.

Anyway, good luck :)
On a curious note, if I may ask, what comps are you going to participate in??

bujolover

HSC
I don't know if there is going to be impromptu at your comp, but a good tip is that you always give advice, write your main ideas down rather than the whole speech, and have an argument - so choose a side, for example if your speech is 'raising the bar', maybe argue why we should raise the bar in a certain area like education, and have points to support your argument. This makes your impromptu solid. Also, watch/read the news daily, because if you incorporate recent events into your impromptu it will definitely stand out as you appear knowledgeable.

As Blackbird mentioned, try and have a hook which slowly leads in to your main point. It's good to have an extended metaphor, symbol, or some sort of comparison. For example, if your topic is about nature - maybe you can compare humans and nature as opponents in a battle idk .... Anecdotes are also good but you have to make sure they're not cliche and do not diminish the seriousness of your topic.

Anyway, good luck :)
On a curious note, if I may ask, what comps are you going to participate in??
There's no impromptu for the competition I'm trying out (I'm actually only interested in one comp atm, unlike what I implied in my OP).
Thanks for your advice. :D

bujolover

HSC
Give direct eye contact, I know this is scary :drink:but look at everyone.
Use rhetorical questions engage your audience use satire, challenge your audience do not use cliche as this is really boring from my opinion as it is sort of seen it been there technique.
Change your tone, I cannot express how important this is try to change your tone in each paragraph. You aren't saying an essay you are saying a speech.
If this is a public competition choose a topic you like

More too come
Do you know a good way of coming up with satire?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I will give you a few words of advice (it may be few but it is true)-be genuinely passionate about what you are speaking, practice so much you know it literally at the back of your mind, and take feedback on and improve, instead of trying to think of other people as competitors, why not think of them as teachers that you can learn from, see things as a self-improvement opportunity and you will be able to gain greater results and enjoy competitions more. So what if you don't get a ranked place-it is a good goal to aim for, but as long as you are improving and trying your best, that really should be much more important. Trust me, two second fames is worth nothing, your attitude and character is worth everything

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)