Dropping to general maths in year 12? (1 Viewer)

Lilabear

HSC
Hi guys, so subject selection for year 12 are fast approaching and i'm conflicted on wether on not i should drop from 2u mathematics to general maths.

i'm doing very badly so far, my first common test i got 45% and my second even worse, 35%. My ranking is in the bottom 20 of my grade. For reference, i go to a selective school ranked around 20.

I don't think i've been trying very hard so far and my homework has been done sporadically. Since next term is year 12 i'm not sure if i can catch up to a satisfactory standard.

I'm seriously considering dropping to general however i'm worried about the scaling as i probably wouldn't get a high band 6 for it so my mark will still get scaled down. At best i would probably get high 80's-90. For 2 unit i would probably get a a mid 70's if i started working like crazy. Which one beats out the other when scaling comes into play?

Last year 71% of general students received band 6's and 58% of 2u student received band 6. Unfortunately i don't know how many students did each subject, however i do know that there was only 1 general class and that the majority of 2u students also did extension maths.

Last edited:

bujolover

HSC
Hi guys, so subject selection for year 12 are fast approaching and i'm conflicted on wether on not i should drop from 2u mathematics to general maths.

i'm doing very badly so far, my first common test i got 45% and my second even worse, 35%. My ranking is in the bottom 20 of my grade. For reference, i go to a selective school ranked around 20.

I don't think i've been trying very hard so far and my homework has been done sporadically. Since next term is year 12 i'm not sure if i can catch up to a satisfactory standard.

I'm seriously considering dropping to general however i'm worried about the scaling as i probably wouldn't get a high band 6 for it so my mark will still get scaled down. At best i would probably get high 80's-90. For 2 unit i would probably get a a mid 70's if i started working like crazy. Which one beats out the other when scaling comes into play?

My other subjects are eng adv, eng ex, modern his, history ex, economics, legal. Maths would be my 12th unit. I would rather have 12 just incase i end up wanting to drop and extension subject.

Last year 71% of general students received band 6's and 58% of 2u student received band 6. Unfortunately i don't know how many students did each subject, however i do know that there was only 1 general class and that the majority of 2u students also did extension maths.
Work hard for the yearlies. If you do significantly better than you've been doing, you know you should keep Advanced. If you're not confident that you know your concepts well, just revise them in the holidays before Term 4. It won't be much work, since it's only 2 units.

I still think high B5/early B6 in general would beat mid-70s in Advanced, even with the scaling...

Or else just drop maths completely if you can. If you're quite certain you very likely won't get a Band 6 even in general and even with hard work, don't bother.

Hope I helped. :)

Lilabear

HSC
Thanks for your response :)
What mark for yearlies do you think would be an indicator that i should keep 2u?

Robbie M

HSC
Hey Lilabear
I personally dropped from 2u to general maths so i have some insight into this.
It is much better to drop early rather than later, due to the sheer amount of content in the general course, its not particularly hard but more so different than 2u.
You could probably do very well in general. I was 252/258 in 2u and im now 1st in general maths. And the scaling for general isn't awful.
TL;DR, you should keep trying for 2u and if you do poorly in your next exam drop consider dropping.

portia1605

HSC
would not drop to general. 2u will be so much better for your atar

Lilabear

HSC
would not drop to general. 2u will be so much better for your atar

Thanks for the reply! But i am doing really, really badly in 2u right now and i probably would get a mid-high band 4 at best. So would a 75 in 2u scale better than a 90 in general?

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
One question you need to ask yourself is have you been studying effectively? I think that's something you need to consider before dropping to general

Lilabear

HSC
One question you need to ask yourself is have you been studying effectively? I think that's something you need to consider before dropping to general

Looking at my results, i probably haven't. Do you have any tips?

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
Looking at my results, i probably haven't. Do you have any tips?
Maths is mainly all about practice, starting from the basics and progressing onto the harder questions

1. Get a headstart by at least a term ahead of your peers. This is can be done in the school holidays where you focus on the easy/medium and harder (if u wish) questions and then by the time you get back to school you can just focus on the harder questions in maths
2. Practice practice practice. Remember to spam past papers
3. Learn from mistakes. When you do a textbook question and/or a past paper and you get a question wrong, analyse that mistake and try to redo the question that you got wrong. If you still can't get it (and saw the answers) ask for help and try to understand the underlying theory as to why you got the question wrong

Hope that helps :)

HSC
Maths really is about practice. If you can dedicate yourself to doing more practice than you are doing now then keeping math will be fine. If you don't see any improvement with practice then i would consider dropping

Lilabear

HSC
Maths really is about practice. If you can dedicate yourself to doing more practice than you are doing now then keeping math will be fine. If you don't see any improvement with practice then i would consider dropping
Since i'm verrryyyy behind, do you think that the disproportionate amount of time i'm going to have to invest into 2u is worth it, considering that its my 12th unit?

Chez21

HSC
I just dropped to general about 3 weeks ago

I was doing worst than you, 45% in first then 20% in second lol

Most of the work in General for me is revision from years 9/10 but if you really think you can keep 2u then wait until the prelim exams and see how you go. If it's very likely you're gonna drop 2u, the earlier you drop the better. I was told by my teachers it's better to be aceing general than be just getting by with 2u, but it's your choice in the end

Oobi

HSC
Have any of you guys tried tutoring for 2U? Like 1 on 1's with a decent tutor.
Its helping me and after a few lessons i'm a lot more confident.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)