Stick to 12 units or drop to 10? (1 Viewer)

Dumbstudent01

HSC
I'm currently in year 11 and unsure what subjects to take into next year
My current subjects are:

Mathematics
Ext 1 Math
Ad. English
SOR 1 (Finish this year)
Physics
Engineering studies
Chinese Continuers

Engineering and Chinese are my lowest subjects ranked 10/20 and 3/7 respectively. I enjoy both subjects, and i i don't want to drop Chinese, if i was to drop anything it would be engineering. However, i feel as though a band six would be easier to achieve in engineering than in Chinese. So i could drop engineering and bump up my Chinese mark, or i could stick with 12 units.

Plus, one of my main reasons for keeping engineering studies is because i want to study it at uni, but i am unsure of how much the final year will impact my studies in the future. I am looking at Civil engineering (which we do first term of year 12). - Alternatively i could stick around in engineering for first term and do all the civil stuff then drop it going into term two.

If anyone could give me an idea of how much extra time you get from dropping the two units, and how much of the content taught in the engineering course in year 12 is actually relevant for university, that would be great! Any general advice would be greatly appreciated:lol:

Sp3ctre

HSC
The subjects you listed only add up to 10 units, don't you need 12 for Year 11?

Anyway, I recommend keeping engineering and wait to see how well you do in your first assessment task. Dropping to 10 units does give you quite a bit of extra time to study your other subjects, I mean the time you needed to study for a whole subject is now free. However, keeping 12 units does have its own advantages, especially if you think you aren't going to do too well in any one of the subjects you're planning to keep so the lowest mark you receive in that subject is not counted.

If you're ONLY doing engineering because you also want to do engineering at university, I don't think you shouldn't bother. I can't really speak for whether engineering is relevant or not because I don't do it at high school. However, I can make an educated guess that it's not too relevant, and universities don't really care about prerequisites that much anymore anyway. If you look civil engineering for UNSW, they only list the 'recommended subjects taken in Year 12' as Extension 1 Maths and Physics, but they don't have engineering. Therefore if you're going to do engineering in uni without doing engineering in HS, you're probably going to be taught the new concepts from scratch anyway.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
You get heaps of free time from dropping a subject I get like 5 hrs or more a fortnight I haven't calculated.

I heard engineering in year 12 is basically what they teach you in uni so it would help, keep it rather than Chinese if you think it's easier to get a band 6 and you like it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)