Textiles
French
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Software Design and Development

Thank you

A1c2

HSC
Hi I am currently in year 10 and I'm struggling to pick between subjects. My current choices are
Advanced English
Mathematics + extension 1
French
Textiles
Legal
Business or Software

I would love to here your experience with the business and software courses (and any of my other courses) as I have heard both pros and cons about these subjects

Thank you

altSwift

HSC
Software is completely dependant on the type of teacher you get. A lot of software teaches are absolute horseshit and you end up self learning the course if you wish to do well in it (that is, if don't get completely demotivated towards the subject and end up not studying at all - thankfully I'm able to drop it next year.) If you wish to pursue software, make sure you get a copy of the Sam Davis textbook if your school doesn't already supply it. Our teacher gave us a book from 2001 based on the old syllabus, and I ended up persuading him to purchase a load of the Davis textbooks + a teachers copy (rip school budget).

Whereas business studies is somewhat useful yet dry and boils down to regurgitating the textbook in tests. Critical thinking is certainly lower than that in software, however you will almost always have a good teacher. It is also an essay heavy subject, so if your good at those, you should already be leaning towards it.

Basically comes down to whether you are willing to self learn software or not (unless there is a decent teacher) and whether you have a passion for the subject (ie programming or computers). If not, for the sake of your atar and mental health, go with business lol.

Last edited:

Neil_

HSC
Software becomes heaps easy if you have a passion for algorithms/pseudocode or learning about it. There aren't essays in software, it's more so problem solving. It doesn't feel like a memorisation-based subject if you enjoy it.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: Opinions on these subjects

I'm currently doing adv eng and ext1 maths

Adv English -
If you have the capacity for deeper thinking than standard than definitely go with it. I honestly reckon it's worth it to give a good go at it.

Ext maths -
Well I love maths so this was an obvious choice for me. Although it is a challenge, keep up with homework and study regularly and you should be g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)