Would it be a bad idea to do part of WW2 for my Journey short story? (1 Viewer)

Wurger

HSC
I am planning to do a story where a soldier scrambles across a river in a boat, being shot at etc, and he goes through hell. Showing how journeys are tough. The main character acts strong, but deteriorates as he goes across. I'm going to be really detailed with the senses.

BTW, if you can't tell already (profile picture cough cough) I'm a ww2 fanatic, so the authenticity will be no problem. I'm mainly wondering about if it classifies as a journey and is philosophical enough (english teachers like that).

Last edited:

Z0

HSC
N/A
You'd obviously need to use
S
T
A
R

Paragraphs for this, if you could show the journey as something which provides travellers obstacles and challenges to learn more about themselves and the world around them that will be sufficient. But, if you choose a WW2 themed story you must implement a scene in which in either way the choice is detrimental to himself or the people around him and where he is given a choice which will effect everyones lives. Doing a WW2 themed story you must know a lot of the general knowledge of the war for example the Japanese used browning guns and later assault rifles in WW2 or even how guns jammed alot and how their cartridges burnt skin touching or even how American squadrons painted their planes like shark or even describe as fi you were there a blitzkrieg attack.

This is only year 10 advice/experience but Good luck!

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
I am planning to do a story where a soldier scrambles across a river in a boat, being shot at etc, and he goes through hell. Showing how journeys are tough?
I think it's best to use your own experiences as a starting point for your story as opposed to a used idea

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I am planning to do a story where a soldier scrambles across a river in a boat, being shot at etc, and he goes through hell. Showing how journeys are tough?
Good idea! Stories about historical events are always good. Make sure you do your research so you can get the clothing, culture, behaviour, looks, etc, of the time period so it seems authentic.

You can even include historical people in it too.

sida1049

HSC
Only do it if you're really confident that you can pull it off well. A lot of teachers (if not most) discourage incorporating historical elements in short stories, because there is way too much room for error, which may end up being a cringy experience for an English teacher who knows their history. The best stories are usually the products of students writing about what they know.

And also, if you want top marks, you should go for a metaphorical implementation of the idea, rather than a literal one. That is, a journey doesn't have to be a literal journey. The problem with writing a story where the main focus is a literal journey is that the idea is explored superficially, and will likely end up communicating to your teachers a shallow exploration of the idea. Journeys are tough, but is a story about a soldier getting shot really the best way to portray the harshness of a journey? It's really hard to relate to, which in turn makes it really difficult for you to write well enough for your marker to see something beyond the surface. What would be impressive, is if you'd write about something that's experienced commonly, but portray just how tough that simple experience can be, rather than writing about a tough scenario that's very foreign to everyone. That would really show your markers something.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't pursue your current idea, but you should really give it a lot of thought, and only go for it if you really have a firm approach.

Wurger

HSC
I am writing about what I know. It's what I have the most knowledge in. I know tons about WW2, so would it still be advisable for a 20/20 (look at my question again, I modified it)?

sida1049

HSC
I am writing about what I know. It's what I have the most knowledge in. I know tons about WW2, so would it still be advisable for a 20/20 (look at my question again, I modified it)?
By all means, go for it. But don't limit yourself to the literal journey in your story. And incorporate various aspects of the rubric as well, e.g. the transformative aspect of a journey.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)