Drop VA or Japanese continuers (1 Viewer)

sun8

HSC
N/A
I'm contemplating on dropping VA or Japanese continuers; I got 80% for VA and 82% for Jap. I hate them both equally and really not motivated. They both require a lot of commitment in year 12, so I don't know which one to drop. Which one scales better?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Look at previous cohorts performance in external HSC?

What are you ranks/cohort size?

Teacher quality?

Friends in your class or doing your subject?

Frostguard

HSC
Personally I'd drop Visual Arts because-
1) You achieved a lower mark
2) Visual Arts has a major work which tests your creativity and takes A LOT of time
3) I think Japanese Continuers scales a little bit higher than Visual Arts
4) Probably a bit biased but learning another language has its advantages than say drawing or painting

But ask yourself this, which one sounds worse, drawing/painting/practicality OR speaking/writing/listening/reading? If you know which one sounds more stressful or bothersome, then drop that subject because while you don't like either subject, your performance in Year 12 will correlate with your interest. Hopefully some others will comment and help you decide what to drop, good luck! :D

Robbie M

HSC
2) Visual Arts has a major work which tests your creativity and takes A LOT of time
I agree with Frost guard, i have a few friends who do VA and they spend all their time doing their major project (every lunch time for 2 terms) , if you're already demotivated i think the major work will more trouble than it already seems to be

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with Frost guard, i have a few friends who do VA and they spend all their time doing their major project (every lunch time for 2 terms) , if you're already demotivated i think the major work will more trouble than it already seems to be
I have done VA for year 12-seems like ages ago haha, but I think I didn't had to work on my major project every lunch time or in fact a single lunch time at all. At the end of the day it is about time management and although art is one of those subjects that may seem endless in the sense you are the only one to determine whether it is completed or not, if you give yourself a certain timeframe it is manageable and I find art fairly relaxing. Whilst I acknowledge the value of language, I would disagree with a previous poster who said art/painting is less disadvantaged because it depends on your lens, arguably learning art cultivates creativity and critical thinking (through needing to base it on a particular artist' style/work) then language, but it really depends also on the teachers I think. I would personally go with whichever subject has the better teacher, the difference in marks you have in those subjects are minimal to make it significant to say you are worse in one than the other, you are really equal in both.

A language is pretty difficult to learn and master without having a similar environment to practice it in..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)