Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By supR
  • 1 Post By Frostguard
  • 1 Post By Itz_Gabi
  • 1 Post By kendallkreene
  • 1 Post By 4Indigoo

Thread: What should I drop? Currently doing 13 units & suffering!

HSC
    N/A

Red face What should I drop? Currently doing 13 units & suffering!

Subjects:

Ext 1 Maths (will keep all)
    Ext 1 Eng
    Bio
    Chem
    Legal
    SORI (compulsory)

Mostly stuck between dropping legal (not science related, which I probably am aiming for in uni - plus less workload)
    or
    ext eng (not taught that well at my school, classes are before school and I struggle to get enough sleep, I do way too many extracurriculars)

Could anyone offer advice on how they went/what they dropped if they did similar subjects?

bless your kind souls

HSC

Re: What should I drop? Currently doing 13 units & suffering!

What are marks and ranks like in Legal and Ext eng?

By the sounds of it, the early morning ext eng and lack of quality teaching is worse that your state in legal studies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Itz_Gabi likes this.
    HSC 2018

Maths Ext 1 - Maths Ext 2 - English Adv - Physics - Chemistry - Economics

ATAR GOAL: 98.00+

UNIVERSITY GOAL: UNSW - Bachelor of Advanced Science / Bachelor of Engineering

HSC

Just like supR said, what are your current ranks and marks for both subjects?
    I'd recommend dropping English Extension because you'd rather not wake up early, losing valuable sleep and because you have many extracurriculars, if I remember correctly, there's a major work for EEX1? Dropping EE means losing just one unit, compared to legal, which is 2 units, means you got less of a backup if something else happens in your other subjects. Generally your marks in a subject correlate with your interest in that particular subject and if you prefer not waking up early for EEX1, then it's a good reason to maybe consider the subject. You also said Legal has less of a workload, which is obviously beneficial compared to your heavy Science and Maths subjects, and Legal will act like a refresher too and I don't think it really matters if it isn't relevant to Uni Science, just keep it because it's less of a burden than EEX1. Good Luck!
    supR likes this.

HSC

Yup yup. I'm probably gonna say the same things as supR and Frostguard.

And in advance, good luck with Prelims
    Frostguard likes this.

HSC

extension english unless you aren't doing well in advanced and want back up

Also think about how many units u want to do in the future. E.g. if u drop ext and drop something else later, would u be comfortable with 10 units?

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by supR View Post
    What are marks and ranks like in Legal and Ext eng?

By the sounds of it, the early morning ext eng and lack of quality teaching is worse that your state in legal studies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Well I was coming first in both but my rank dropped in both ahaha

HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Frostguard View Post
    Just like supR said, what are your current ranks and marks for both subjects?
    I'd recommend dropping English Extension because you'd rather not wake up early, losing valuable sleep and because you have many extracurriculars, if I remember correctly, there's a major work for EEX1? Dropping EE means losing just one unit, compared to legal, which is 2 units, means you got less of a backup if something else happens in your other subjects. Generally your marks in a subject correlate with your interest in that particular subject and if you prefer not waking up early for EEX1, then it's a good reason to maybe consider the subject. You also said Legal has less of a workload, which is obviously beneficial compared to your heavy Science and Maths subjects, and Legal will act like a refresher too and I don't think it really matters if it isn't relevant to Uni Science, just keep it because it's less of a burden than EEX1. Good Luck!
    I just feel like dropping legal will give me extra time to study, but the teacher is really good for it

HSC

My mum tells me that teachers shouldn't affect how well you perform in a subject, and while that's the ideal - to not be impacted by influences out of your control, it isn't always the case. I don't particularly enjoy the content for Legal Studies (plus workload), but I'm keeping it because I have a good teacher. Teachers are important because you need to use them throughout the HSC. Also, it might be a psychological thing, but the better I like the teacher, the better I tend to work.

In your case, I would drop English Ext.
    beeang likes this.
    English Advanced | English Extension 1 | English Extension 2 | Music 2 | Music Extension | Modern History | Ancient History

ATAR Aim: 98.50

HSC
    N/A

If Legal is taught well then I wouldn't drop it. The course is a lot of work but it's also really fun to do in the HSC (imo the content was much better than the Preliminary content). Drop English Ext1.
    beeang likes this.

Thread Information