Thread: REGRET: did I choose the wrong course for prelims?

HSC
    N/A

Question REGRET: did I choose the wrong course for prelims?

So I've chosen modern history as one of my electives for year 11 and I regret it. I have music as a backup. I think I have too many creative subjects so that's why I choose history but now I think I should have done the subjects I'm good at. I want to do music 1 instead. It's really been bugging me. I've been told nothing by the school, of the final timetables and stuff but uuuurrgggg.

What should I do?!?!?

Have any of you been in this situation or do you regret doing a subject?

HSC

Re: REGRET: did I choose the wrong course for prelims?

Ask
    HSC 2018
    MX1 - BIO - CHE - PHY - ADV

HSC
    N/A

How much units are you doing? Can you still drop history?

HSC
    Uni Grad

drop history when you get to year 12
    Free MX1 Notes: http://tinyurl.com/freeMX1notes
    B Engineering (I have no idea anymore) @UNSW IV

HSC
    N/A

Music 1 doesn't scale too well. I did it in year 11 and dropped it because it wasn't challenging enough and my school didn't offer Music 2. If you play an instrument then I suggest Music 2 because it scales much better and you'll learn something worthwhile. If you play an instrument Music 1 will be a repeat of a lot of theory and the analysis part doesn't go into too much depth which can actually be a bad thing when it comes to assessment tasks. If you don't play an instrument it will be really hard because it covers too many things without sufficient explanation and requires you to come up with basic compositions/variations/improvs.

Keep MH and M1 around for year 11 and then drop one in year 12. If you've got a lot of performance/art subjects then you might want to keep MH for the scaling otherwise you're gonna have to do extremely well in everything to get a good ATAR out of it.

I regret not taking English Ex1 and taking PD/H/PE over Biology. You'll probably regret something along the way but it's not the end of the world as long as you enjoy what you've chosen. Don't pick a subject you hate because you'll do poorly.
    Last edited by 4Indigoo; 2 Sep 2017 at 6:37 PM.

HSC

If this is year 11 subject selections you're talking about, you can defintely change your mind up to the end of the year. (Well that was the case for my school anyway) If you explain your situation to the relevant person in charge of time tabling, they'll usually allow you to change your subject selections, given the lines for that subject allow you to. I know this from experience, as when I realised geography was running, I changed from ancient history to geo, and I do not regret that one bit.

If this in the case of year 11-> 12 subject selections then hold out till your first assessments if you're not entirely sure. It's highly unlikely they'll let you pick up anything now, unless you're prepared to do pathways or some other alternate program that extends your HSC time, so you'll have to bear with whatever you've chosen.

I regret dropping bio so early, especially when term 2 rolled around and music 2 course in general was driving me mad, that I wished I had done some other subject instead of music.
    Searching for that HD WAM

2017: UNSW Advanced Science (Chemistry)

HSC 2016: Mathematics | English Adv. | Music 2 | Geography | Chemistry | Maths Ext. 1

Thread Information