Past Paper efficiency (1 Viewer)

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
So I've been doing a bunch of past papers in preparation for my prelim yearlies but I'm always getting a range of low marks

I understand that this is a good thing as I am able to crack down on my weaknesses in my learning and understanding.
But constantly getting 40-70% and never really being able to breach that 80% let alone 90% mark is starting to weigh on me. I'm doing schools that set exams harder than mine as well, and this really occurs mainly in phys chem and 3u

I've done around 15~ maths papers (maybe less maybe more) and after each one I read the solutions and work on those areas in the cambridge textbook. But every exam I manage the find another weakness, even in topics that I already went and studied

Is there a way that I can fix this or feel better about the consecutive low marks?
Thankssss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
So I've been doing a bunch of past papers in preparation for my prelim yearlies but I'm always getting a range of low marks

I understand that this is a good thing as I am able to crack down on my weaknesses in my learning and understanding.
But constantly getting 40-70% and never really being able to breach that 80% let alone 90% mark is starting to weigh on me. I'm doing schools that set exams harder than mine as well, and this really occurs mainly in phys chem and 3u

I've done around 15~ maths papers (maybe less maybe more) and after each one I read the solutions and work on those areas in the cambridge textbook. But every exam I manage the find another weakness, even in topics that I already went and studied

Is there a way that I can fix this or feel better about the consecutive low marks?
Thankssss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it is good that you are doing preparation for your yearlies. It is ok to be hitting the 50-70% range especially if the papers are harder.

For physics and chemistry, do you have a good understanding of your content first? May also be helpful to consult a teacher/tutor with the marking process for both physics and chemistry, with some of the non-MC questions, particularly longer response.

Have a look through the rubrics of the given question, before attempting past questions, to get a feel for what markers are looking for, and create some way of summarising content in terms of

For maths ext 1, the cambridge text is generally good. It would be good to revise concepts and then practice concepts.
Probably start with some open-book tests. Do some papers, open book, so if you are not sure about something, consult the textbook or your notes (BUT DO NOT CONSULT THE ANSWERS), or even your teacher/tutor. There are often silly mistakes made in maths, these can be reduced by exam practice and a thorough error-checking technique; and do a wide range of questions.

Work progressively. If you are struggling to get above 65% consistently then, work slower and then build up to working under timed conditions.

Suggestions:

[1]
Try for one paper do individual questions:
Answer, review, amend, mark (ARAM)

Answer the question, then circle areas (in a different colour) where you would normally common mistakes have been made (you can either find this out from teachers, or use past experience from previous assessment/practice; create a checklist maybe);
scrutinize your result closely if you pick up any mistakes, amend your answer and then mark.

[2] Try attempting individual questions in a different order: either a test or ARAM

(Tip always do MC either first or last)
  • do every odd/even question and then go back and do the remaining questions in reverse order. e.g.
    1,3,5, 6, 4, 2 or 2,4,6,5,3,1.
  • doing the paper in reverse, if you are really up to it, and then reattempting again at the end the 2 hardest questions. So give several attempts at the same question on different pieces of paper (without looking at the previous attempt), before marking.
    (in fact I did this in my trial and HSC and found that I had more time in exams to do the harder questions rather than rushing harder questions at the end)

[3]
You can try open-book tests or closed-book tests.
You can do a variation, where you time how long you can do the paper before consulting the textbook/notes.

[4]
Try doing untimed tests as well; or tests where you have a "consultation period", so during reading time, you may consult notes, before attempting/beginning paper.

=======
Other general tips here:
http://www.caringbah-h.schools.nsw....d Examination Preparation for HSC Courses.pdf

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you!

This is very detailed and I will be sure to try each tip to see what works best for me :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)