Physics VS Modern History- Year 10 Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

omg1234

HSC
Phys or Modern?
I'm confused on which one to pick for year 11 and 12.
My other subjects are:
3u Maths
3u English
Chemistry
Economics

I enjoy both subjects, yet want to know how hard/stressful both courses are and also how interesting all topics are.

Neil_

HSC
The people in my school find physics perpetually harder compared to the history/humanities subjects. If you're doing better in science right now pick physics or if you think you can dominate the essay-based subjects go for modern history.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
I chose physics and can confidently say that it is one of my favourite subjects. I really enjoy studying it so it's never a struggle and the content is cool.

You guys have the new syllabus and I genuinely envy you because the content is soooooo interesting. So from me, I'd pick Physics
- and I dont hate the humanities as I do economics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Frostguard

HSC
Yeah it honestly depends what kinda person you are, I think you can either be a Science person or a Humanity person and judging by your subject selection, you're probably a Science person, people who prefer getting straight to the point and understand the scientific principles of life and whatnot. I don't do Physics myself but I did take Modern History. If you like writing essays and generally writing as much as possible to your heart's content, then take Modern History. I wouldn't say Modern is hard, all you have to be good at is remembering key events and knowing how to structure an essay and understanding how to use perspective and reliability to assess a source's usefulness (this will be assessed quite a lot) but in saying that, if you love to learn about History and specifically World Wars, then take Modern. It'll also act as a sort of refresher from your heavy Sciency and Maths based subjects of Chem and 3 Unit Maths. Good Luck buddy! :)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Phys or Modern?
I'm confused on which one to pick for year 11 and 12.
My other subjects are:
3u Maths
3u English
Chemistry
Economics

I enjoy both subjects, yet want to know how hard/stressful both courses are and also how interesting all topics are.
You guys have a way better physics syllabus especially with more calculations and no more society and impact stuff which is extremely boring, I'd go with physics but I can't speak for modern history I don't do it.

omg1234

HSC
Thanks for your advice guys, I've gone with Physics!
What's new in the new syllabus?

chillininthefridge

HSC
N/A
Okay, so personally I had the exact same dilemma: choosing between modern and physics. In the end, I caved and chose physics- let's just say it's one of my biggest subject regrets. Of course, I chose it for all the wrong reasons, aka the supposedly very high scaling (though if you really analyse the raw data modern isn't two far off, in fact it is consistently one of the best scaling humanities) and the lack of memorisation (a big plus for me since I hate memorisation).

Those two reasons however, weren't enough for me to make it through this year (barely did) and if I could somehow turn back time I would pick modern. Of course, maybe I would've hated modern as much as I hate physics now. Let me tell you, if you have no genuine interest or passion in anything physics related (I recommend you look at the new syllabus and judge for yourself) , but you are considering it solely for its high scaling or for lack of a better word, laziness, then CHOOSE ANY OTHER SUBJECT BUT PHYSICS. Since you say that you like year 10 physics, you should be fine... though i would imagine it to be very different to the new syllabus.
What physics requires is true dedication and consistent practice, both of which come wayyy easier when you are genuinely interested in the subject.

ALSO YOU CANNOT CRAM FOR PHYSICS LIKE YOU CAN FOR MODERN AND OTHER HUMANITIES SUBJECTS

IT TAKES CONSTANT PRACTICE TO ACHIEVE HIGH MARKS

Also with the new syllabus, its going to be mostly calculations based, so I would recommend that you only do it if you are very confident with your math skills (mostly algebra).
Here are some pros and cons of physics (dk about modern since i don't do it)
Pros:
-not as much 'content' as other sciences (memorisation wise- even less memorisation with new syllabus)
-useful for engineering uni degrees

Cons:
-Can be dry (imo)
-Consistent practice required, can't really cram as there isn't much to memorise, you have to understand the material and know how to apply it in different situations

omg1234

HSC
Funny thing is, I've changed to Modern History even after selections and am feeling much more relieved and excited for next year

Frostguard

HSC
Funny thing is, I've changed to Modern History even after selections and am feeling much more relieved and excited for next year
That's a good outlook for Modern, keep that attitude and remember to write key dates, notes, events and that sort of stuff and you'll be easily do well in modern, just remember to refine your essay writing skills :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)