Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Drongoski

Thread: DROPPING 3u math to 2u???!!!!! Pls help

HSC

Exclamation DROPPING 3u math to 2u???!!!!! Pls help

So it's nearly end of yr 11, and I am unsure if I want to drop 3 unit math or not because currently getting 95% in 2u but haven't passed a single test for 3u this year although our school tests are very hard. If I drop it will mean I will have 10 units, and more time which I will be productive in . But do u think having safety net of an extra unit will be helpful? And I would also have to change math classes if I change to 2u?

Want to do med or a science degree will 3u maths be helpful?

Thoughts and advice ??????
    Aiming for 95+ atar

Loquacious One
    HSC
    N/A

Re: DROPPING 3u math to 2u???!!!!! Pls help

Having 3U Maths is better than having just 2U; helps you better cope with courses requiring a background in maths.

I find it hard to reconcile your 95 2U and not having passed your 3U. You should be able to do your 3U. If you like I can have a look at how you are approaching your 3U (at no charge) and try to find out why you have not done well in it. In this way you can see how you can correct your current approach. It is not too late but you shouldn't leave it to too late.

In my view, you should hold on to your 3U as long as possible.
    Last edited by Drongoski; 12 Sep 2017 at 9:06 PM.
    ShootingDuck likes this.
    1-on-1 Maths Tutoring(IB & HSC): Epping, Beecroft, Eastwood, Carlingford & Beyond
    IB: Maths Studies, Maths SL & Maths HL; HSC: 2U, 3U & 4U
    Highly Qualified & Highly Experienced. Estimated ATAR > 9.995
    There are IB Maths Tutors and there are IB Maths Tutors.

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Three unit would be helpful if you want to do a science degree.

What does your teacher think? I'd try to identify exactly why you aren't succeding in 3 unit, given your strong mathematics mark.
    I can barely see up and down and back again
    Despite what you believe I keep away from trouble
    If who I am today's a sign of where I'm going
    I'm ready to embrace

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Don't forget to "vote"(post) in the postal plebiscite!
    On break from site until late November.

HSC

This decision is completely up to you but you should have some things to think about before you plan on dropping

Of course it is still achievable to get a 95+ atar while continuing with math extension but you will have to dedicate alot of time to it to get really good. As I am not a uni student i cant say whether or not 3u maths will be helpful for a med or science degree, i will say it is more important that you get a good atar even if that means dropping it, since it seems it will be doing more harm than good at this point.

Where do you rank compared to the rest of your cohort in 3u math? If you are at the bottom then it would be wise to drop if you believe you are doing really bad in the subject as it could have a negative effect on your HSC, prelim math extension accounts for up to 30% of your final HSC, and if you find your current work load too much you shouldnt continue with it. If you are at the top of your class however then try some prelim math extension past papers from the past HSC papers and see how you do in them, if you do quite well you should keep it as it will work to your benefit.
    You can find these questions by searching by topic in here:
    http://www.pasthsc.com.au//HSC_Maths...CBreakdown.pdf
    & here: http://www.pasthsc.com.au/HSC_Maths_Extn_1.html

HSC

I was in a similar situation to you as well, getting 95-100% in 2u, but like 65-75 in 3u. I kept it, mainly because if I dropped it, I'd get a different teacher, and my current teacher was amazing, and the 3u unit didn't end up counting anyway. It's pretty useful though to have knowledge of the course in uni, you'll probably find in uni, if you end up doing a science degree that requires some type of maths, that 3u content is around in those courses.
    Searching for that HD WAM

2017: UNSW Advanced Science (Chemistry)

HSC 2016: Mathematics | English Adv. | Music 2 | Geography | Chemistry | Maths Ext. 1

Thread Information