Thread: IRP's in Year 11/12

HSC

IRP's in Year 11/12

Are IRP's (experiment projects and stuff) common for assessment tasks in Phys, Chem or Bio in Year 11 and 12? Do they expect you to do them at home or at school?

HSC

Re: IRP's in Year 11/12

With the new syllabus coming in, im not sure if this is still accurate:

For us, most of our field trips were organised by the school, and experiments done in class. We didn't have to do any experiments at home. It might vary from school to school, but I'd think if there's no explicit mention in the syllabus that you've got to do it yourself (at home) it'd be done at school, but it depends on your school.
    Searching for that HD WAM

2017: UNSW Advanced Science (Chemistry)

HSC 2016: Mathematics | English Adv. | Music 2 | Geography | Chemistry | Maths Ext. 1

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird_14 View Post
    With the new syllabus coming in, im not sure if this is still accurate:

For us, most of our field trips were organised by the school, and experiments done in class. We didn't have to do any experiments at home. It might vary from school to school, but I'd think if there's no explicit mention in the syllabus that you've got to do it yourself (at home) it'd be done at school, but it depends on your school.
    How many did you do in Year 11 and how many in Year 12? Are they common tasks or do they come up once a year or something? Also, are the IRPs individual tasks or group work or does it depend on each school?

HSC

At my school doing like home tasks for any subject was pretty low. I think we did maybe one answering questions task in year 11 for physics and 1 in year 12 for chemistry. In terms of the testing practicals, I think most schools have like 20-30% allocated to doing some kind of practical exam, for physics it is commonly the pendulum experiment and for chemistry titrations. For other experiments we did them all at school, cause I don't think they expect you to have like chemicals like HCl at home
    99.70 Notes + Free Technique Sheet: http://tinyurl.com/jazz519notes
    High Quality Advice Thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ml#post7271068
    2015 - 2U (Accelerated) (96)
    2016 - Eng Adv(97) | Chem(93) | 2U(98) | 3U(48) | Phys(94) | Bus(94)
    ATAR: 99.70 Dux

2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)
    Chem, Maths, English Tutor

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by _Anonymous View Post
    How many did you do in Year 11 and how many in Year 12? Are they common tasks or do they come up once a year or something? Also, are the IRPs individual tasks or group work or does it depend on each school?
    oh yeah the practical exams although not a project are usually done individually or if your school has a limited amount of equipment for an experiment, you might perform the practical in a small group, but you analysis and answer all the questions individually.
    High Quality Advice Thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ml#post7271068

2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jazz519 View Post
    At my school doing like home tasks for any subject was pretty low. I think we did maybe one answering questions task in year 11 for physics and 1 in year 12 for chemistry. In terms of the testing practicals, I think most schools have like 20-30% allocated to doing some kind of practical exam, for physics it is commonly the pendulum experiment and for chemistry titrations. For other experiments we did them all at school, cause I don't think they expect you to have like chemicals like HCl at home
    Thanks for your response, so I can expect like 3 IRP's a year for the next two years (doing Phys, Chem and Bio), right? And if so, do schools usually give IRP assessments for the three Science subjects all in one term or can I expect something like Term 1 (Phys IRP), Term 2 (Chem IRP) and Term 3 (Bio IRP)?

HSC

Thanks for your response, so I can expect like 3 IRP's a year for the next two years (doing Phys, Chem and Bio), right? And if so, do schools usually give IRP assessments for the three Science subjects all in one term or can I expect something like Term 1 (Phys IRP), Term 2 (Chem IRP) and Term 3 (Bio IRP)?
    Yeah for the chemistry and physics if they choose those two practicals that will happen cause they are in different topics

HSC

Yeah for the chemistry and physics if they choose those two practicals that will happen cause they are in different topics
    Damn, doing 3 IRPs at the same time will suck then :/

HSC

Damn, doing 3 IRPs at the same time will suck then :/
    Oh nah I meant that the chemistry and physics if your school chooses to assess titration and the pendulum prac it will be in different terms

HSC

Oh nah I meant that the chemistry and physics if your school chooses to assess titration and the pendulum prac it will be in different terms
    Oh right, what if they're not the pracs our school chooses (is there a possibility all 3 pracs from different subjects will be in the same term)?

Thread Information