year 12 advice? (1 Viewer)

alicm

HSC
Hi! In about a week I will be starting the HSC course and I was wondering if anyone has any advice/general tips for year 12 or in relation to the following subjects:
  • Advanced English
  • Extension 1 English
  • Extension 2 English
  • Legal Studies
  • Biology
  • Modern History
  • History Extension
Also should I be looking at course content now in order to get ahead or is that not necessary?

Greatly appreciated!

duck4

HSC
Hey!

Extension 1 English: spend time researching and choosing good related material. We were given an assessment task where we had to do a 20-30 minute tutorial/speech on 4 related texts at the end of term 4 due mid-term 1 and we all hated it at the time but it was the most useful thing because I've stuck with those related texts (I don't do all of them in one essay, but I can choose) and I know them really well. Don't forget to practice creatives and that's about all I can say :)

Extension 2 English: don't stress too much, but stress just enough to give you motivation to get it done. It's honestly so good to be finished one unit without having to do an exam :) When you write you're first draft DON'T try to make it perfect because you'll never get it done- I had a girl in my class who took ages to get a first draft done because she kept doing a couple of thousand words and deleting them. Try to keep updated with your research and your journal (something I didn't do very well oops). With the reflection statement forget about the word count when writing your first draft and cut down from there- that way you don't end up squishing the last couple of requirements in at the end, everything is given the space it needs

Biology: Write your own notes according to the dot points. I found that nothing would go into my head when we were reading stuff in class, but when I wrote my own notes everything made sense and I was able to remember it. Once you have your own notes interact with them in any way, mindmaps or flashcards etc. Then do past papers.

As far as looking at course content to get ahead: enjoy the last stress-free school holidays you'll ever have! Don't worry too much about Yr 12 content yet- if you know what you're texts will be for English advanced and extension maybe read those. For bio it can be helpful to read the content before you get into class (like the day or morning before) if you have a textbook but it isn't essential

I didn't do legal or history sorry. These are just a couple of things that I found helpful for each subject :)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hi! In about a week I will be starting the HSC course and I was wondering if anyone has any advice/general tips for year 12 or in relation to the following subjects:
  • Advanced English
  • Extension 1 English
  • Extension 2 English
  • Legal Studies
  • Biology
  • Modern History
  • History Extension
Also should I be looking at course content now in order to get ahead or is that not necessary?

Greatly appreciated!
For biology would recommend making your own notes since you need to understand it. Also I think learning ahead by a bit for each subject will help greatly as the first tasks usually weigh 25% which can make or break your rank

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
For English I did a lot of research on the texts (not just what teachers say to read it twice or whatever) like looking at ideas and analysing it in a way that flowed well with good language and specific quotes and techniques, wasn't generic (everyone tends to use the same type of arguments for example like in mod A that texts show the value of the context, but you have to try and show it in a way that addresses different parts of the rubric like the importance of techniques specific to a text type i.e. camera and lighting stuff for movies and for a play like asides and stuff, making direct distinctions between like the type of language used. for instance in Shakespeare King Richard he uses christian imagery and demons and stuff, while Pacino in looking for Richard looks at the same theme of manipulation and power but addresses it through the characters becoming politicians so he can relate the text to his specific audience which is American people, while in Shakespeare's its English 16th century. So pretty much by paying attention to these kinds of things, no matter what the question is on the exam day you should be able to adapt ur essay to the question because you have based on essay on the rubric and the ideas that link to that rather than just random themes that might link, because the question most of the time is just a straight sentence from the rubric with maybe a quote from somewhere else

For short answers, honestly didn't do that much study apart from memorising techniques and knowing key phrases from the discovery rubric, because if you have already like written essays from scratch using quotes and techniques for other sections, you already know how to analyse a text and just have to do that on a smaller scale with the texts they give u.

For biology, I didn't do the subject but I did do the other two sciences and I found that making your own notes using like textbooks and other band 6 students notes, based on having a dot point as a heading and then writing information beneath worked well. Past papers are pretty important too as you see the type of detail you need in answers to get good marks

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)