11 units or 10 units for HSC? (1 Viewer)

cherryboi

HSC
Hi, I would like to ask for your opinion on whether i should drop Studies of Religion 1 or keep it.
Im currently on 11 units as year 12 starts and in year 11 although they don't effect HSC results, these were my ranks (before prelim exams, don't think they will change as Im quite ahead in marks in a few of them).

Chemistry-- 1st
Business Studies-- 1st
Advanced Math-- 1st or 2nd
Physics --5th
Advanced English-- 6th
SOR 1 --top 10

2 units of Adv English gets counted anyway so we can take that out of the picture.

The thing is Im not really interested in SOR 1. As many of you will say about the safety net with the extra units, I checked and SOR 1 scales pretty bad. Im most confident in my abilities in Math, Business Studies and English. And Im certain i will at least get band 5's in physics and chemistry. Now if i do get for example 80/100 in chemistry or physics then I would at least need to get 44/50 for SOR 1 to even have a small effect in my Atar. Which is a mark I don't think i will achieve. Now even if i get 40/50 in SOR 1 that will be equivalent to 69/100 for 1 unit of chemistry and physics. As you can see the drop from 44/50-80/100 to 40/50-69/100 .I personally don't see having a safety net as i know I definitely wont get 69/100 for my sciences. If i do drop SOR 1 i would need to do catholic studies which is non-atar. :tongue: . Now if i would want to do SOR 1 i would have to get at least 44/50 which would require constant effort for a subject I doubt i would do good in.
Also Im dedicated to all my other subjects.

Btw the source of my atar equivalents is through 2017 HSC Ninja Calculator.

What do you guys think,All advice is appreciated. :):):)

thank you

(wrote this in a rush so it is structured terribly)

Last edited:

2018hsc

HSC
I'm in year 11 about to start year 12 and i'm going to have 10 units next term. From what ive heard from teachers they usally say its better to have less units. It means you will have more time to spend on other units, meaning you may do better in your other classes. Also as you dont enjoy SOR by the sounds of it, you wont pay attention in that class, making you more stressed around exam times. if i was you i would drop the class, but maybe at the end of the term after the first assestment.

jjHasm

HSC
Drop SOR1, do Catholic Studies, I doubt you have to put any effort into it (unless it will effect your chances of getting dux? idk). It won't count to your atar. No point even putting the slightest effort for an extra unit you don't even enjoy.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I was in a similar position to you as well with SOR and CST. I would recommend if you have confidence that you can perform in all of your subjects then drop it, but if you have even the slightest doubt in your other subjects keep it for one term and if you have performed well in your subjects by then, you can drop it then also.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
My 11th unit for my HSC was ext english so I was pretty inclined to keep it, since you feel that way about SOR 1 you probably should drop it. FYI my ext english didnt even count at the end of the day and I got 44/50 lol. Was interesting to learn and study tho.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)