Thread: Polyatomic Ions

Cadet
    HSC

Polyatomic Ions

My teacher told me that we need to memorise Polyatomic Ions for the HSC, so my question was; how many of them do we need to memorise? Usually, people give a select few (maybe 10-15) but those vary from different sources, so how many and which ones should I try and memorise?

HSC

Re: Polyatomic Ions

The main ones I can think of right now that you need to know are hydroxide, nitrate, carbonate, sulfate, phosphate and ammonium. Someone might need to add to this list if I’ve missed something
    HSC 2017: English Adv - Maths Ext 1 - Maths Ext 2 - Chemistry - Physics
    ATAR Aim: 97.30

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by _Anonymous View Post
    My teacher told me that we need to memorise Polyatomic Ions for the HSC, so my question was; how many of them do we need to memorise? Usually, people give a select few (maybe 10-15) but those vary from different sources, so how many and which ones should I try and memorise?
    You're better off learning all of them otherwise you might get a curveball questiom involving an ion you don't know.
    2017 Prelim
    // Economics // Physics // Mathematics // Maths Extension 1 // English Advanced // Chemistry // Business Studies //

2018 HSC

// Economics // Physics // Maths Extension 1 // Maths Extension 2 // English Advanced // Chemistry //

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Karldahemster View Post
    You're better off learning all of them otherwise you might get a curveball questiom involving an ion you don't know.
    +1

There are tips to memorize them:
    See HERE
    HSC 2018
    MX2 - BIO - CHE - PHY - ADV

HSC

For those even if you forgot what it was, you can always figure out the charge by using lewis dot structures. It does take a few minutes, but is best choice to use if you don't know
    For Cheap High Quality Notes & Essays + Free Technique Sheet: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...-bus-94-a.html

2015 - Maths: (96)
    2016 - Eng. Adv. (97) | Chem (93) | Maths (98) | 3U Math (48) | Physics (94) | Business Studies (94)
    Atar: 99.7 Dux

2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)

Cadet
    HSC

People say there are an indefinite amount of Polyatomic ions, so it'd be impossible to remember them all. Should I just remember the common ones like; Carbonate, Chromite, Hypochlorite, Nitrate, Nitrite, Permanganate, Phosphate, Phosphite, Sulfate and Sulfite? Will that suffice or are there more I should remember?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by _Anonymous View Post
    People say there are an indefinite amount of Polyatomic ions, so it'd be impossible to remember them all. Should I just remember the common ones like; Carbonate, Chromite, Hypochlorite, Nitrate, Nitrite, Permanganate, Phosphate, Phosphite, Sulfate and Sulfite? Will that suffice or are there more I should remember?
    yeah remembering the common ones such as those you listed above is suffice.
    For Cheap High Quality Notes & Essays + Free Technique Sheet: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...-bus-94-a.html

2015 - Maths: (96)
    2016 - Eng. Adv. (97) | Chem (93) | Maths (98) | 3U Math (48) | Physics (94) | Business Studies (94)
    Atar: 99.7 Dux

2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)

Thread Information