2018 HSC | Should I drop Economics or Business Studies? (1 Viewer)

Karldahemster

Student
HSC
So I will be picking up EXT 2 maths for the HSC and need to drop a subject so that I don't have 14 Units.

Ranks:
Business Studies - #1 or #2 (haven't got yearlies back yet)
Economics - #1 or #2 (haven't got yearlies back yet)

I am aware that economics scales better. However, I feel like my teacher may lack a bit of depth which may lead to some issues with doing external exams. Whereas in Business Studies the teacher is better and the subject is basically wrote learning a textbook anyway so you hardly need a teacher.

I have a couple of queries:
  • Does business really scale that badly compared to economics?
  • Which subject has more band 6s in the last few years?
Thanks

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't really be focusing on the amount of band 6s in the whole of NSW (look at how your school usually does in the subjects, not completely accurate as cohorts vary year but comparing like a few years should give you a good idea what to choose. I think there is website called top scores that lets you look at that stuff). Although business studies gets more band 6s in NSW.

For the scaling aspect if you are expecting like just a 90 in both, then economics is better, but if you think you can get like into the mid or higher 90s (consider a state rank for business is like 96 for 2015) then the scaling isn't that different. Usually as you move higher up in the percentile for a subject the differences between scaling for subjects reduces quite a bit (this is why people with high marks in humanities which people think give you a bad ATAR sometimes get high ATARs as seen in the many people on the tutoring and notes section of the forum). Just means that you have to get higher in business for the same value to match with economics, but this takes into consideration that economics is probably a more difficult subject so you might get a lower score in it than business.

Screen Shot 2017-10-09 at 7.48.56 pm.png

Karldahemster

Student
HSC
I wouldn't really be focusing on the amount of band 6s in the whole of NSW (look at how your school usually does in the subjects, not completely accurate as cohorts vary year but comparing like a few years should give you a good idea what to choose. I think there is website called top scores that lets you look at that stuff). Although business studies gets more band 6s in NSW.

For the scaling aspect if you are expecting like just a 90 in both, then economics is better, but if you think you can get like into the mid or higher 90s (consider a state rank for business is like 96 for 2015) then the scaling isn't that different. Usually as you move higher up in the percentile for a subject the differences between scaling for subjects reduces quite a bit (this is why people with high marks in humanities which people think give you a bad ATAR sometimes get high ATARs as seen in the many people on the tutoring and notes section of the forum). Just means that you have to get higher in business for the same value to match with economics, but this takes into consideration that economics is probably a more difficult subject so you might get a lower score in it than business.

View attachment 34260
Thanks for the response. Do teachers generally give out past years results? Or is there some sort of website that lists them.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the response. Do teachers generally give out past years results? Or is there some sort of website that lists them.
Most do, but they are most likely available here: http://www.topscores.info/report.php?z=NSW&newreq=hsc-school-rank-da,2016,n15,1

Mess around with the report, filters in the top left corner and the year and you should get a rough idea. If nothing comes up in that year, means they got 0 band 6 in the subject or it didn't run that year

Karldahemster

Student
HSC

Karldahemster

Student
HSC
Most do, but they are most likely available here: http://www.topscores.info/report.php?z=NSW&newreq=hsc-school-rank-da,2016,n15,1

Mess around with the report, filters in the top left corner and the year and you should get a rough idea. If nothing comes up in that year, means they got 0 band 6 in the subject or it didn't run that year
So, my school has got 1 band 6 in eco in the past 8 or so years. Avg 1-2 in business for the last 8 years though. This is a tough decision.

Sokc

HSC
So, my school has got 1 band 6 in eco in the past 8 or so years. Avg 1-2 in business for the last 8 years though. This is a tough decision.
Maybe just do the one that you feel more motivated to well in. For example i was in a similar position to you deciding whether to drop bio or eco, but i realised that i found eco much more enjoyable and was motivated to better in as a result. But you seem to be the in the band 6ish ranks for both subjects regardless so you should be okay either way

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
What's the cohort size of each subjects?

Ask your teachers how they think you'd perform?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)