Extension 2 Maths Experience?? Urgent! (1 Viewer)

gallen88

HSC
Hi,

I've finished the prelims for Extension 1 Maths and don't start the HSC until Week 4 (what my school told our cohort). However, the school subject coordinator has informed my cohort and I that we need to start deciding what to drop and/or pick up for Year 12 right now. Throughout the year I've received the following in Extension 1 Maths:

Task 1 - 94% (1st)
Task 2 - 91% (1st)
Task 3 - 86% (4th, two people tied second with 87% and first place received 89%. This was also the yearly exam.)

Overall average - 90% (Not sure of the final end of year rank but I'd like to think I made it into the top 3).

I'm considering picking up Extension 2 Maths for Year 12 but I'm pretty anxious about it. I was wondering if anyone could provide their thoughts and experience with this subject. Any tips as well would be highly appreciated too!

Thanks! :wavey:

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't do the subject during high school, but in first semester uni, surprisingly we did quite a bit of the 4 unit course in the maths subject I chose. I did fairly well in 3 unit maths, and found most of the 4 unit stuff manageable in the uni course, so if you're doing that well in 3 unit, it is probably a good indication that you can perform well in 4 unit maths.

In terms of tips its a math subject still so just continue on with what you have been doing to get ur 3 unit results so far

Last edited:

ShootingDuck

HSC
it's honestly not too bad and really not as hard as some people put it out to be.
*Looks at your ATAR

Nah but for real, as long as you're passionate about math and put in the work, you'll be fine. Half my class dropped the subject (8/16) but that was mainly since they didn't put in as much effort as the subject requires. Looking at your marks in 3U you definitely seem more than capable of doing well in 4U.

In terms of my own experience with the subject, it was mostly fun for me as it's very different from 3U and all the topics were interesting. My only problem with it is that I'm struggling with the harder 3U stuff, and I absolutely hate it. Probably because my teacher didn't really teach it that well I guess.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I'm considering picking up Extension 2 Maths for Year 12 but I'm pretty anxious about it. I was wondering if anyone could provide their thoughts and experience with this subject. Any tips as well would be highly appreciated too!

Just do it. You can do it.

Dragon9000

HSC
N/A
You’re fine, do it. Like others have said, it’s not too far further in the concepts that you learn in 3U.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,

I've finished the prelims for Extension 1 Maths and don't start the HSC until Week 4 (what my school told our cohort). However, the school subject coordinator has informed my cohort and I that we need to start deciding what to drop and/or pick up for Year 12 right now. Throughout the year I've received the following in Extension 1 Maths:

Task 1 - 94% (1st)
Task 2 - 91% (1st)
Task 3 - 86% (4th, two people tied second with 87% and first place received 89%. This was also the yearly exam.)

Overall average - 90% (Not sure of the final end of year rank but I'd like to think I made it into the top 3).

90% in ext 1, you will easily do well in ext 2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)