Should I drop economics or general maths? (1 Viewer)

Lilabear

HSC
My subjects are currently:
- English adv
- English ex 1
- English ex 2
- Modern
- History ex
- Legal
- General maths
- Economics
13 units is a lot so I’m seriously contemplating dropping either general or economics. I didn’t do well in prelim eco (mostly due to lack of interest and effort) and after reading notes for this year’s content I feel extremely daunted. For general maths, I’m worried about the fact that year 11 content can be tested (I dropped from 2u this year) and even though general is easier, I’m not confident in scoring 90+. The extremely poor scaling of general leaves me hesitant to include it as one of my 11 units.

I really want to drop one of them right now instead of waiting until after the first assessments as I’m fairly certain I will still want to drop. However, many people have warned against this. Looking for some though's on what I should do. Thanks

Robbie M

HSC
I believe there is nothing wrong with dropping a subject as long as you are confident in your decision.
Having dropped from 2u to general maths as many others it is difficult to score 90+ due to the differences within the courses, all though most of the year 11 content is covered again in yr 12, and the algebra section you'll be fine with, just focus on the areas you're not sure about. But for general maths it is better to drop earlier than later, trust me.
Haven't done eco but it seems to be really content heavy and difficult, if you have little interest in it, it won't be fun.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Consider rank. Previous cohorts performance in the external HSC exam.
Can also consider asking your individual teachers how they'd think you'd perform in the external HSC exam.

sarkar_as

HSC
i would drop eco since ur already doing a lot of humanities subjects. i do eco and it's very content-heavy but i don't do other content-heavy subjects like history and legal.

and with maths just do as many past papers as u can, u can get over 90 u'll surprise urself

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
Looks like you really enjoy your Englishy subjects, I would drop maths only if your ready to write another 2-3 essays for Economics for your HSC exam.

Frostguard

HSC
I would be in your situation too right now but because General Maths is much more easier to understand than say 2 Unit, that’s why I haven’t dropped it. I see genny maths as a hella bludge subject and there’s less homework, thought and dedication towards this subject compared to 2 Unit. Even though a Band 6 in genny maths is difficult and I too see I probably don’t have a chance of getting 90, I’ll keep genny maths just because it’s a subject to fall back onto if I do bad in my other 11 units (I’m doing 13 too). How about keep 13 units for now and see how you go in your first assessments, I did prelim genny maths and persobally didn’t stress or have any issues compared to the 2 Unit kids who I see drown in homework and half of them don’t even pass whereas in general I’m sure you can pass and get a decent mark. But yeah good luck for now and I suggest keeping the 13 units then drop the subject you’re performing worse in :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)