Thread: Diatomic Gases/Elements

HSC

Diatomic Gases/Elements

So the Diatomic elements are: Bromine, Iodine, Nitrogen, Chlorine, Hydrogen, Oxygen, and Fluorine. I was wondering; since Oxygen, Sulfur, Selenium, Tellurium and Polonium are all on the same group, wouldn't they have the same Lewis Dot structure? Hence, shouldn't all those elements be Diatomic as well? Same with Nitrogen, shouldn't Phosphorus, Arsenic, Antimony and Bismuth be Diatomic since they all have the same dot structure as Nitrogen? Why are only a select few of these elements Diatomic?

Also, most of these Diatomic elements are gases, is there a specific reason why most gases are diatomic elements?

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Re: Diatomic Gases/Elements

probably more deeper than high shcoool chemstry but it has to do with the various orbital types

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    probably more deeper than high shcoool chemstry but it has to do with the various orbital types
    Is there a way to explain it in a more easier way? I know we're doing Orbitals in Year 11, idk if it'll be on various types tho and whether we'll go too in-depth on it.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by _Anonymous View Post
    Is there a way to explain it in a more easier way? I know we're doing Orbitals in Year 11, idk if it'll be on various types tho and whether we'll go too in-depth on it.
    All that orbital stuff all equates to like one thing overall, a greater stability for the element in a diatomic state rather than a monoatomic state. It relates to something called bond order (covered in molecular orbital theory), which predicts if something is able to exist in nature.
    99.70 Notes + Free Technique Sheet: http://tinyurl.com/jazz519notes
    High Quality Advice Thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ml#post7271068
    2015 - 2U (Accelerated) (96)
    2016 - Eng Adv(97) | Chem(93) | 2U(98) | 3U(48) | Phys(94) | Bus(94)
    ATAR: 99.70 Dux

2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)
    Chem, Maths, English Tutor

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by jazz519 View Post
    All that orbital stuff all equates to like one thing overall, a greater stability for the element in a diatomic state rather than a monoatomic state. It relates to something called bond order (covered in molecular orbital theory), which predicts if something is able to exist in nature.
    Do sigma bonds and other bond types (apart from the basic Covalent and Ionic ones) come into play? If so, do we learn more about these bonds in Year 11/12 or are they more Uni based content?

I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by _Anonymous View Post
    Do sigma bonds and other bond types (apart from the basic Covalent and Ionic ones) come into play? If so, do we learn more about these bonds in Year 11/12 or are they more Uni based content?
    uni

Thread Information