Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Diatomic Gases/Elements

  1. #1
    Junior Member _Anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    1

    Diatomic Gases/Elements

    So the Diatomic elements are: Bromine, Iodine, Nitrogen, Chlorine, Hydrogen, Oxygen, and Fluorine. I was wondering; since Oxygen, Sulfur, Selenium, Tellurium and Polonium are all on the same group, wouldn't they have the same Lewis Dot structure? Hence, shouldn't all those elements be Diatomic as well? Same with Nitrogen, shouldn't Phosphorus, Arsenic, Antimony and Bismuth be Diatomic since they all have the same dot structure as Nitrogen? Why are only a select few of these elements Diatomic?

    Also, most of these Diatomic elements are gases, is there a specific reason why most gases are diatomic elements?

  2. #2
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,224
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Diatomic Gases/Elements

    probably more deeper than high shcoool chemstry but it has to do with the various orbital types

  3. #3
    Junior Member _Anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Diatomic Gases/Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by Queenroot View Post
    probably more deeper than high shcoool chemstry but it has to do with the various orbital types
    Is there a way to explain it in a more easier way? I know we're doing Orbitals in Year 11, idk if it'll be on various types tho and whether we'll go too in-depth on it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member jazz519's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    HSC
    2016
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    807
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Diatomic Gases/Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by _Anonymous View Post
    Is there a way to explain it in a more easier way? I know we're doing Orbitals in Year 11, idk if it'll be on various types tho and whether we'll go too in-depth on it.
    All that orbital stuff all equates to like one thing overall, a greater stability for the element in a diatomic state rather than a monoatomic state. It relates to something called bond order (covered in molecular orbital theory), which predicts if something is able to exist in nature.
    99.70 Notes + Free Technique Sheet: http://tinyurl.com/jazz519notes
    High Quality Advice Thread: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...ml#post7271068
    2015 - 2U (Accelerated) (96)
    2016 - Eng Adv(97) | Chem(93) | 2U(98) | 3U(48) | Phys(94) | Bus(94)
    ATAR: 99.70 Dux

    2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)
    Chem, Maths, English Tutor

  5. #5
    Junior Member _Anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Diatomic Gases/Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by jazz519 View Post
    All that orbital stuff all equates to like one thing overall, a greater stability for the element in a diatomic state rather than a monoatomic state. It relates to something called bond order (covered in molecular orbital theory), which predicts if something is able to exist in nature.
    Do sigma bonds and other bond types (apart from the basic Covalent and Ionic ones) come into play? If so, do we learn more about these bonds in Year 11/12 or are they more Uni based content?

  6. #6
    I complete the Squar3 Queenroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    My bathtub
    Posts
    7,224
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Diatomic Gases/Elements

    Quote Originally Posted by _Anonymous View Post
    Do sigma bonds and other bond types (apart from the basic Covalent and Ionic ones) come into play? If so, do we learn more about these bonds in Year 11/12 or are they more Uni based content?
    uni

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •