Thread: Yr10 Subject Selection: Modern history or Geo

HSC

Yr10 Subject Selection: Modern history or Geo

Hey guys,

Regarding subject selections for Year 11, I am unsure whether to take Geography or Modern History. I currently take Elective Geography in Yr10 and have been for the past 2 years but my marks this year have decreased to mid 70's which has really unmotivated me to have an interest in Geo. I don't take Elective History but my mandatory history marks are majority high 80's.

I know that modern history scales better than geo, but I would have a much better chance of ranking better for Geo as more academically gifted students are taking modern e.g. students in selective schools and Geo is far less 'popular' amongst selective schools.

Would it be better for me to take Modern History instead of Geo? I feel like I will be less 'prepared' for modern as I missed the content previously learnt in Elective History, hence, I may have more catch up. Is it worthy taking Modern for a change considering I've done Elective Geo for 3 years already?

HSC

Re: Yr10 Subject Selection: Modern history or Geo

Hi,

As a Modern History student who didn't do elective World History in Year 9 and Year 10 I can assure you that you learn completely new topics and content. This is for both the preliminary and HSC course. I'm in a competitive cohort of many keen historians - with 30 people (for prelim - don't know how many people dropped for HSC). I ended up coming 5th, which was a major surprise considering 90% of the students did World History (exception of 3 people which included me). Here are some tips:

- The best thing for you to do for Modern History, if you decide to choose it, is that you start your assessments early and your notes early. Modern History has a lot of content that you need to learn and understand. I recommend you start making notes for Modern History when you start a topic or if you are time poor during the holidays.

- The best way to do well in Modern History is to do practice essays, ask your teachers to mark them, fix up the essay and have it remarked until you see those lovely band 5s and band 6s. Do keep in mind that a band 5 in Modern is very good, as well as a band 6 (well for any subject achieving a band 6 is frigging amazing). If your teacher gives you a practice paper DO IT. This is essential and contributed to me receiving 3rd place in the prelim exam.

- Collaborate with other students and divide note making into 4 sections with 4 people. This can work or it could be a complete failure. I prefer working on my own but if you are fine with working in groups then go for it.

I don't know much about Geography - I wish I chose it instead of Chemistry (I would've selected Legal Studies as well).

Main tip though is to choose what interests you the most. I recommend having a look at the syllabus for both Geography and Modern History. See what dot points your school covers for Modern History. Ask yourself if you are interested in those particular topics for Modern History and for Geography. If you are concerned about 'scaling' - I recommend you ignore the whole scaling BS - talk to your teachers about how well the COHORT does every year. No point bragging about 1st place when the cohort average is 25% - 50% in a high/low 'scaling' subject. Ask how many band 5s and band 6s were achieved by the students in each subject and the cohort average.

Good luck! : )

HSC

Re: Yr10 Subject Selection: Modern history or Geo

Thank you so much for your advice

Thread Information