Preliminary Counts to Towards HSC? (1 Viewer)

L0ki

HSC
My teacher told me that Preliminary is 40% of my HSC and some older students said it doesn't affect it at all. So does it count or does it not?

ichila101

Split arrowhead
HSC
Uni Grad
The actual work you do in prelim and the results you get in it have absolutely no contribution to the actual HSC, however in a sense the work you learn from prelim does help for most (not all) subjects and in other subjects it is essential to HSC. For example in english, prelim doesnt count at all to HSC but it gets you used to essay structuring and writing analytical paragraphs, mathematics (which may have been what your teacher was talking about) gets carried over to HSC with up to 30% of the HSC mathematics exams being prelim iirc, sciences dont contribute to HSC however it would still be a pretty good idea to learn your prelim content obviously, other subjects like social sciences i dont think carry over to the HSC at all but generally it would be a pretty good idea to make sure you do well in your prelim as that can act as a base for which you can improve on when you get to year 12, just dont overstress about it.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

captainneuro

HSC
My teacher told me that Preliminary is 40% of my HSC and some older students said it doesn't affect it at all. So does it count or does it not?
If they’re talking about content wise then yeah sure it does, but if they mean marks/ranks wise, they’re a filthy liar.

DontCallMeYoshiko

HSC
What do you mean "content wise"?
Essentially, content is what you learn in class. So what you learn in Year 11 is carried on into your year 12 course as assumed knowledge.
If that doesn't make any sense I can use an example.
Eg. In General Mathematics Yr 11, you learn formulas to solve questions that then carry onto the year 12 course to extend your knowledge.
For a simple example,
Year 11- Learn Pythagoras to find the missing side length on a (2D) triangle
Year 12- Use Pythagoras to find the missing side lenth on a triangular prism that will allow you to find the surface area of the whole prism.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)