Year 11 2018 Prelim (1 Viewer)

patrickjames

HSC
Hi,
I'm going into year 11 next year and I have just recently started to get really nervous.
My subjects for next year are
- Physics
- Chemistry
- Legal Studies
- Business Studies
- English Standard
- 3U Mathematics
I have always had a very strong passion for maths and sciences and I think this has shown in my grades recently which is why I was recommended to do 3U maths. But despite this I have especially been nervous about maths, particularly because I have been in C maths (A being highest) for most of my high school "career".
I was hoping for any advice, links or just general help, tips and warnings for my subjects.
Thanks,
Patrick

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
- Notes
- Revision
- Practice!

For notes, a simple yet effective habit I adopted was summarising what was learnt in one day's lesson in a little notebook everytime I returned home. For example, I learn about differentiation one day. I would go home and just jot down in 10 minutes, the equations I learnt in class, the tricky/ hard/ special cases my teacher pointed out and maybe 1 example question in the notebook. Basically having that lesson covered in terms of content. By the time I got to my first task assessment, all my notes were written out in this awesome book which I then published into my finalised notes (my finalised notes included more stuff from tutoring or the textbook I used). I found this really helped me understand the core principles in math (I did this for 4 unit too!).

Revision comes from doing the set homework, focusing in class and generally just finding answers to any questions I had. Math is awesome because there's always so many new questions and methods of doing things you're not used to seeing. So new methods that I learnt would also go into my notes! It's good to have a strong artillery of mathematical methods to doing problems (Especially 4 unit).

Practice! So now that you've gotten the revision, the notes and the understanding, all you have to do now is practice on many many many past papers! For school assessments, try and do your schools' papers (schools tend to be quite lazy and sometimes copy past questions from their own papers) or other papers. HSC papers are also good to try for school exams. I remember during my trial to HSC period, I did all the HSC papers and a number of James Ruse and Baulkham Hills papers because I found that in the other trial papers, questions seemed to be recycled. So if you're looking for challenges, go to the "harder" school papers (e.g. Ruse, Baulkham, Sydney Boys, Sydney Girls, North Sydney boys, Sydney Grammar (very hard)).

Also! As the deadline approaches your assessment date, I would do practice papers under exam conditions to simulate exactly what the real exam will be. It's almost like when sprinters in the Olympics practise as if it is the real deal. Then on the day, they're ready to smash it. Aim to finish practice papers with enough time to check. Then when you mark your answers at home, be wary of new methods and what sample answers say.

(this isn't my original post, it was someone else's)

As for past papers in physics and chemistry, well I guess you gotta just practice with what you have

And for business studies and legal studies I suppose it's just memorising the crap out of stuff and this can be done through making "worksheets" where you have your notes down (with some words cut out here and there) and then printing it again and again and filling the words in 5 times a day for a whole fortnight until you are so bored of it and by then you should be able to memorise stuff

As for the essay subjects which require extended responses, just write the responses and get feedback from a teacher (or look at the marking criteria)

Last edited:

Frostguard

HSC
Hey Patrick buddy!!! It's ok if you haven't been in the highest maths class in junior year, show your dedication, skill and passion for maths and be that dark horse who gets high marks despite others not knowing you were that good at maths. As Jaxx said above, her tips and little points are very beneficial and helpful to help you study efficiently. I also too think the most efficient way to study is doing past papers, because what better way to test your knowledge of the subject through past papers and actually trying to apply the knowledge, no point in knowing the content if you can't apply it in exam conditions.

You've got a mix of humanities and science-y subjects, Physics/Chemistry and 3 Unit Maths will compliment each other especially with the new science syllabi where theres more mathematical concepts and calculations, even tho theres a new syllabus, I'd still check out previous papers to test yourself on maths concepts and that sorta stuff. There'll be less historical/social/societal concepts which I'm sure you don't mind which gives u more focus on the maths part of the science courses. Just brush up on your calculations and equations for these 3 subjects.

As for your humanities, Business and Legal, you must perfect your essay writing skills, because they're so content heavy you'll need to do a lot of writing, multiple choice, short answers, extended responses that sorta stuff, test yourself under exam conditions to see how much you can write and how fast you can write (recommended is 6 pages in 40 mins, yes this is quite daunting but over time you'll reach it). These two subjects are very much rote-memorisation/learning so just remember your content and you'll be a-ok. I don't do business but I'm doing legal, to be honest, most of it is common sense but you do need to learn LCMS (legislations, case, media and statistics). You'll learn it later in the prelim course and soon your favourite word in this subject will be 'evaluate/assess the effectiveness' But yeah not sure what else to say but good luck for the future and know your calculations as well as good essay-writing skills!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smile:

DontCallMeYoshiko

HSC
If you would like some heads up to what is being covered in your courses next year http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/ is the best place to be looking as it also gives you sample assessment schedules and syllabus content for a good heads up !
Also an important note! If you are a stresshead like me remember there is support out there both in school and out during Prelim and the HSC.
Best of luck!

patrickjames

HSC
I have a couple of questions about the new syllabi. I've been talking to a friend of mine who just graduated from my school's HSC program. She said that she did the same modules as the new physics syllabus but I thought the new syllabi are being introduced for year 11 as of 2018 and for year 12 in 2019. Could someone please clarify this as I am quite confused about it.

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a couple of questions about the new syllabi. I've been talking to a friend of mine who just graduated from my school's HSC program. She said that she did the same modules as the new physics syllabus but I thought the new syllabi are being introduced for year 11 as of 2018 and for year 12 in 2019. Could someone please clarify this as I am quite confused about it.
Damn you were up early this morning on BoS ahahah. Happy New Year!
To answer your question, I believe you are correct, except I have been informed that the new Mathematics 2u, 3u, and 4u syllabus are being introduced for Yr 11 in 2019. Every other new syllabus is being introduced for Yr 11 in 2018 and Yr 12 in 2019.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)