Subject Selection Advice (1 Viewer)

potatodog

HSC
Hi,

I need help in deciding my Year 11 subjects for 2018. I'm deciding whether I want to drop Physics or Chemistry for Biology. I'm thinking of dropping Physics because I didn't do well in Motion Physics on my yearly, however I did decently well for Astrophysics. I personally enjoy Physics more as it is more interesting to me and I understand it better than Chemistry. However, I did well in Chemistry for my yearly (better than the other sciences I did). However, I know that Physics becomes a lot more difficult (in comparison to what we've just done in Year 10) and I've heard that Chemistry will be easier in the long run and that it will scale higher.

I'm also thinking of just swapping both Chemistry and Physics to Biology and one of the histories (Ancient/Modern). I did decently well in History this year with very minimal effort. I'm also not entirely sure whether I want to pursue a degree in Med/Vet which I believe I would require Biology and Chemistry as prerequisites. If I were to swap to History, are there any main differences besides content?

Currently, I have already chosen the following subjects:
- Advanced English
- Advanced Maths
- Legal Studies
- Society & Culture
- Chemistry
- Physics
- English Ext. 1
- Maths Ext. 1

I also wanted to know how much impact (if there were) my school would have on my results. My school is fully selective and has been ranked in the top 10-15 relatively consistently.

Thank you all for your time and I would greatly appreciate any advice/comments. Also, I apologise for the fact that I am all over the place since I'm currently stressing about my senior years.

kendallkreene

HSC
Hi,
If I were to swap to History, are there any main differences besides content?

Currently, I have already chosen the following subjects:
- Advanced English
- Advanced Maths
- Legal Studies
- Society & Culture
- Chemistry
- Physics
- English Ext. 1
- Maths Ext. 1

I also wanted to know how much impact (if there were) my school would have on my results. My school is fully selective and has been ranked in the top 10-15 relatively consistently.

Thank you all for your time and I would greatly appreciate any advice/comments. Also, I apologise for the fact that I am all over the place since I'm currently stressing about my senior years.
According to the trend of previous years, Modern scales better than Ancient. I can't think of anymore differences apart from the content.

Your school's ranking is quite good. I wouldn't worry much - if anything, they'll drag you up in terms of scaling.

horse9996

HSC
The main things to ask yourself are what are you best at and what do you enjoy the most. However, its equal for every subject then you can take into account other factors such as teacher, class, post school, etc. However I'd recommend focusing on what your best at and enjoy the most first because these factors are what will mean you do the best in a particular subject over another

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah your school will do you wonders considering its rank, so that's all good.
Considering your prospects into Med/Vet, chemistry and biology do seem like appropriate subject choices. Additionally, with heavy subjects such as 3u maths and english, dropping physics will help to relieve some of the load.

Honestly yr 10 marks, imo, do not accurately reflect your performance in yr 11 and 12. I did poorly in yr 9-10 maths, although I tried very hard. Studying for 4 weeks only yielded a 71% in our final yearly. However in yr 11 maths I was able to pull 90%+ for all 2u and 3u exams, and have started reasonably well in yr 12.
Focus on what you enjoy and where you wanna go, as these will motivate you to strive during the toughest of times

Best of luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)