Really confused here... (1 Viewer)

mkv_86

HSC
Hi all,

I'm kinda baffled regarding how to study for an english advanced exam? Like for sciences, all I do is:
- make syllabus notes
- revise and do past papers
- rectify misconceptions and weaknesses
- do past papers in timed conditions

However, for english what kind of "standard" procedure should I take?

Much thanks

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
If you haven't made notes then probably make those depending on if you wanna memorise an essay or not. If you're not then edit your quotes, themes and analysis and then memorise it. If you're memorising an essay then get feedback and refine that and try make it as general as possible to fit the syllabus.

Then you'd probably adapt it to random essay questions under timed conditions to practice your timing.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi all,

I'm kinda baffled regarding how to study for an english advanced exam? Like for sciences, all I do is:
- make syllabus notes
- revise and do past papers
- rectify misconceptions and weaknesses
- do past papers in timed conditions

However, for english what kind of "standard" procedure should I take?

Much thanks
make summary dotpoints/examples on each text

my advice is not to memorise a whole essay but to refine your essay (and mind you other text construction) by practice essays and getting feedback.
I wrote summary notes, which included examples with techniques (and effect/connection to syllabus topic e.g. discovery). For example, I had about 24 examples for each module spread across different themes. (the ones in module A were paired for comparison)

instead of past papers, do practice essays (past papers are essential practice essay questions)

Last edited:

horse9996

HSC
Create concept notes with multiple points so you have options. Then practice molding your arguments to fit various essay questions. It can also be more efficient to dot point out answers or just write intros to practice arguing a range of questions. I'd also recommend doing one or two timed practice runs like the real task

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)