Preparing for Year 11 (1 Viewer)

helllo

HSC
Hi,im going into year 11 next year and I have no clue what its like. My older brother just finished year 11 but hes the most careless person you could meet and we are doing complete opposite subjects (so asking him for advice is pointless).

Im doing:

English Standard
Math Standard
Sor1
Modern history
Legal studies
Community and family studies
Business Services

Ive heard that most of my subjects are really hard. Is there any way I can prepare myself and be organised?

Tbh I have never really done homework and I know that the next two years are gonna be a challenge/ shock.
ANY ADVICE WOULD HELP

Frostguard

HSC
The majority of your subjects are very much content-based where you will be tested on your ability to memorise and apply your knowledge into exam questions. English and Maths are pretty much self explanatory, read your texts, know your techniques, whether literary/visual/aural, and basically know how to use PEEL or other forms to basically have structured essays and responses. As for maths, just do your homework so you're able to answer the equations and calculations with confidence.

As for the Sor1; legal, modern, CAFS and business services, create study notes or some form in which you can remember the content in the subject because you have A LOT OF CONTENT in all of these subjects, 5 Humanities subjects all from different faculties will mean you are going to bombarded with assessments constantly (I did 12 units in Y11, 6 different subjects from 6 different faculties which meant exams and assessments every week for 5 weeks omg it was torture). But yeah create study notes, be organised to ensure you will not burn out and crack under all the exams and assessments and make sure to do extra well!!! (English STD and Maths STD do not exactly have good scaling so you gotta make sure you put in a lot of effort!!! Good Luck!!

kimsayslegit

HSC
I agree with the reply above. Most of your subjects are heavily content-based and it's important that you know the content well and early to ensure they stick. Also, it's not only about memorising the content but about knowing how to apply them to given situations and how to interpret questions thrown at you. For example, Legal Studies usually throws those types of questions at you in the multiple-choice section, where you're given a scenario and expected to interpret it and mark the correct answer. Don't memorise only, but make sure you understand the content too!

I also recommend practicing essay-writing early! If you start early in the year, you'll have lots of time to improve and get feedback. Write essays and send them to your teachers for feedback. If they're not available, do essay swaps with your friends or classmates! You both get feedback AND get a copy of each other's essays to learn from too.

Start your notes early and use textbooks to get ahead of your class! I did this for Legal Studies in both preliminary and HSC year. By learning the content early, I went into class knowing and understanding what the teacher was talking about. This allowed me to not only challenge her ideas, contribute my own and contribute to class discussion, but it allowed me to ask my own questions and get more information from the class than I would have if I was learning the content for the first time.

Good luck with Preliminary HSC year! :)

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
If possible, try getting into English Advance, as the scaling is a lot better then Standard with a similar amount of effort is required.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)