How to thoroughly understand texts in English? (1 Viewer)

Munti

92.25 ATAR! hmu for tutoring :) im cheap
HSC
I will be commencing year 11 in 2018, and I desperately need advice on how to comprehensively understand different types of texts in Advanced English, in particular, the classics and those written in old English/Latin.

I find it really difficult to understand these types of texts regardless of how many times I re-read them, and I have ultimately tried almost every tip and trick (eg; writing difficult words/phrases down and interpreting them, reading simplified versions/summaries etc) however none of them make much of a difference. Texts such as Othello, Jane Eyre and Brave New World are some of those among the many novels I have tried to read but have since given up about 2-3 chapters in.

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Last edited:

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Spark notes.

For Shakespeare, they have a "No Fear - Shakespeare" series of books (~$11.99) that have both the original English and a modern translation that makes a lot more sense.
In general, they have a website is a range of analysis on characters, plots, themes, motifs etc within lots of classic texts such as Brave New World, 1984, Metropolis, Motorcycle Diaries etc

This should help with reading old English texts, and understanding them - Best of luck :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)