Advice on preparing for year 11 subjects? (1 Viewer)

TeheeCat

HSC
Hello guys! So with school coming in less than a month now (gosh), I started preparing ahead for subjects. But I'm a bit lost on how to, especially since the majority of them are undergoing syllabus changes :S Here are my subjects:

English Advanced
- I'm okay with essays but creative writing has always been weakest point. How can I work on that?

Maths Extension 1
- I have two textbooks at home: Cambridge and Understanding Math. Which one is better?
- I've been thinking of revising year 10 content, which topics should I particularly revise apart from algebra?
- Supposedly I do have enough time to study ahead in a new topic, what should that topic be? I don't think I can finish the whole textbook before the holidays end :/

And for the next subjects, I have no idea how to prepare for them...

Modern History

Physics

Business Studies

Economics

All answers and advice would be appreciated :D

HoldingOn

HSC
Hello guys! So with school coming in less than a month now (gosh), I started preparing ahead for subjects. But I'm a bit lost on how to, especially since the majority of them are undergoing syllabus changes :S Here are my subjects:

English Advanced
- I'm okay with essays but creative writing has always been weakest point. How can I work on that?

Maths Extension 1
- I have two textbooks at home: Cambridge and Understanding Math. Which one is better?
- I've been thinking of revising year 10 content, which topics should I particularly revise apart from algebra?
- Supposedly I do have enough time to study ahead in a new topic, what should that topic be? I don't think I can finish the whole textbook before the holidays end :/

And for the next subjects, I have no idea how to prepare for them...

Modern History

Physics

Business Studies

Economics

All answers and advice would be appreciated :D
Apart from maths just wait until school starts. However, for maths Cambridge is your best bet- I'd start by learning basic differential calculus then maybe integration if you have time.

StudyMaster101

HSC
Getting a headstart on 2u would allow you to have more time for 3u

Papercutter

HSC
Maths Extension 1
Cambridge textbook would be my bet.
For mathematics, it wouldn't hurt to revise on logs and exponentials if you did cover it in Year 10. If not, no biggie, the topic is not particularly hard so you could start learning that. Might be good to revise on your geometry (I've forgotten how much they teach you that before senior years) - so refresh on theorems and proofs (e.g. similarity/congruency type stuff).

Prelim maths will usually just begin as a revision of junior maths - so basic algebra, arithmetic etc.

Don't stress too much, especially since it is Year 11. Prelim is there for you to make most of your mistakes and learn from them :)

BienvenueAMusA

HSC
English Advanced
hey, i'm also heading into year 11! lol i'm the opposite my creative writing is decent but my essays are tragic....let's exchange some tips? haha
pardon my grammar and punctuation because i ceebs

tips for creative writing:

practise, practise, practise!
it's the same as maths and everything else...if ya don't practise then how can you get better? do writing exercises, look at writing prompts (writer's digest, tumblr) and just practise writing and describing everything. write about stuff you see, hear etc.

read other people's stories, scenes, stuff
reading other people's works (both dead and alive) will have an immense impact on your vocab and allow you to improve- i guarantee it. reading different authors allows you to discover different writing styles and ways to write scenes, build tension etc.

feedback
feedback is crucial in helping you hone your craft. ask a tutor, teacher (wait til school starts) or even peers (we can be really savage and blunt if we want) to critique your work. this will highlight areas where you need to work on, thus resulting in a stronger creative.

lol the end sorry if this was unhelpful but seriously all ya gotta do is practise and get feedback mhm i'm open to read anything if you wanna pm tbh
have fun studying and byeee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)