How many hours should I be studying? (1 Viewer)

blu boi

HSC
Hi, I'm starting year 11 this year and was wondering how many hours of study I should put into a week.
Also, do you guys think tutoring should count as studying?

Here is my draft of my timetable for 2018...

https://imgur.com/a/k0VZ9

Also, I'm going to take small breaks between the 1hr or 45min blocks of studying (not shown in the timetable)

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
You're timetable seems pretty good and it's good that you're factoring in breaks and sleep like that! It depends on what your short and long term goals are, but I feel like if you were to keep that timetable up and you made sure you were studying effectively, then you would probably be hitting around mid 90s for each subject. To be honest, it actually seems like quite a lot on weekends which may stress you out (not sure), but try it for the first few weeks and if you find that you're feeling overworked, don't hesitate to cut back, as it would be pretty dumb to burn out now before year 12 even starts. Cutting back a bit I feel like would do very very little in terms of negatively impacting your grades.

Don't stress about Year 11 grades, just try to make sure you find study techniques that work you, then carry them into year 12

Also, there are a lot of study guide type threads on here made by past-HSC students which I highly recommend checking out as they cover the act of studying more in depth.

phat_tar

HSC
Uni Grad
I found 2 hours on week days and 3-4 on weekends to be enough for me in year 11. If you're working effectively you probably don't need to study that much but I'm sure if you're that dedicated you'll do extremely well. Also I'd count tutoring as studying, but just out of curiosity is your tutoring at a college or private? I've never seen anyone do 13 hours a week, though again I can imagine this would be very useful if not maybe a bit overkill but that's not for me to say.

Last edited:

blu boi

HSC
I found 2 hours on week days and 3-4 on weekends to be enough for me in year 11. If you're working effectively you probably don't need to study that much but I'm sure if you're that dedicated you'll do extremely well. Also I'd count tutoring as studying, but just out of curiosity is your tutoring at a college or private? I've never seen anyone do 13 hours a week, though again I can imagine this would be very useful if not maybe a bit overkill but that's not for me to say.
I go to centres for 5 subjects and 1 private for english :p
Yea its pretty helpful and I've gotten used to it haha.

phat_tar

HSC
Uni Grad
I go to centres for 5 subjects and 1 private for english :p
Yea its pretty helpful and I've gotten used to it haha.
Well it seems like you have excellent work ethic, keep a good balance and I'm confident you will do well in the HSC.

Killua101

HSC
studying hours really depend on what subjects u do in prelim. If for example, like i did, 3u, Phy, Chem, Bio, adv eng, it helped if I studied just a bit more than you everyday. I would also suggest u work in 3 hr blocks (after all hsc exams are normally). So study 5-8 non stop, go to dinner, come back at 9ish and grind another 1-2 if u can.

Again it really depends if u have that much pressure (for hw, tests etc). Otherwise ur timetable is looking tops! good luck and all the best for your journey

BienvenueAMusA

HSC
honestly that seems like a lot, but you do you i guess...
just make sure that you don't burnout haha

HoldingOn

HSC
Go to bed earlier. Also is going to tutoring for all subjects necessary? Time could be better spent I think.

tanyajames

HSC
Uni Grad
Your hard work and confidence helps you to reach higher. Even the time table looks pretty good. As few people said, think whether so much of tutoring is really necessary.

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
Your timetable looks really good and organised to be honest, especially when you're only in Year 11! However, in my opinion, the weekends seem a little packed, especially since it looks like you have three or something different tuition subjects on Saturday. Just remember that although Year 11 knowledge is very important as it carries the fundamental basis for many Year 12 subjects, it actually doesn't matter at all in terms of ATAR calculation and HSC marks.

If I were you, I might cut down on the tutoring just a little especially on the weekends for a few reasons:
- Spending lots of hours on tutoring may eventually wear you down (I have had first-hand experience of this lol but it might be due to the fact that I was lazy and felt tired very easily haha). You want to start Year 12 fresh and I feel that your schedule is a little intense and I don't want you to feel tired after Year 11.
- It might be better to save your money and invest in tutoring for Year 12 subjects rather than Year 11 subjects as Year 12 marks are what actually matters in the end.

However, these are just my opinions and by no means do you have to take these seriously.

Overall though, you are studying a very solid and nice amount and I believe you will do very well in the HSC. Keep up your study habits and most importantly continue to learn effectively and maintain a balanced life (which I can see through the presence of karate and other things).

And one more thing - make sure you're comfortable with adjusting your timetable. On days where assignments/exams are looming over, it might be better to prepare yourself for extra hours of study.

In response to your individual questions:

how many hours of study I should put into a week.
- It really depends on your subjects, how you study and what your assignment/exam load is to be honest. Just by glancing at your timetable, I feel like you're studying enough for Year 11.
- Also, I guess it depends on what your own personal ATAR goal is and/or what you want to do in Uni later on and what the cutoff is.

Also, do you guys think tutoring should count as studying?
Idk its really up to you to be honest. Most of my friends considered it as study but I personally didn't.

Also, I'm going to take small breaks between the 1hr or 45min blocks of studying (not shown in the timetable)
Seems great! It's always good to give yourself a bit of a break after intense sessions. For me personally I loved to drink green tea as a late-night study break :)

Hope all of that helps and best of luck!

Last edited:

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Your weekdays looks good, maybe filter in some more time for personal care e.g. reading or exercise

The tutoring on the weekend, as most people have expressed, does look quite excessive.
I would suggest cutting some back, as it is not necessary to achieve the greatest results. In my opinion crucial subjects such as Maths and English gain the most from tutoring.

Additionally, do have time on the weekends, again, to do things that you want, especially in yr 11. Best of luck :)

StudentRN

HSC
N/A
Your weekdays looks good, maybe filter in some more time for personal care e.g. reading or exercise

The tutoring on the weekend, as most people have expressed, does look quite excessive.
I would suggest cutting some back, as it is not necessary to achieve the greatest results. In my opinion crucial subjects such as Maths and English gain the most from tutoring.

Additionally, do have time on the weekends, again, to do things that you want, especially in yr 11. Best of luck :)
Hey just looking for some advice- what is your study schedule/timetable and how much study do you do in a day?

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey just looking for some advice- what is your study schedule/timetable and how much study do you do in a day?
How much is study is different for every student, and depends on your circumstance.
For Year 11, completing homework and making notes should be mostly sufficient. Towards exam periods (say 3-4 weeks out) you should be starting past papers and that sort of thing

Yr 12 is different, in the sense that you will want to do more hours per night of study. This should be a progression from say 3 hours across to 5 hours as the year progresses

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)