Unnecessary worry and stress.. (1 Viewer)

KingTings

HSC
So I just completed my first couple days of my preliminary course. :hammer:
I'm now having doubts on my ability and the chances of me succeeding and achieving great results. I have a bit of a perfectionist mindset so it causes me to get very competitive. It doesn't help that the majority of friends around me seem to have more of an intellect and know what is going on.
I try to study though I just there aimlessly due to the lack of resources I have currently.
What can I do to catch-up/get-ahead on work?
Thanks in advance :tongue:

notthedevil

I love the Pakenham line
HSC
As the term goes on, you will get more and more resources and thus your amount of study time will go up and become more efficient. for the first few weeks, focus on nailing the concepts which your available resources cover. Also, to combat the issue of sitting around aimlessly and not getting much done with your time, I recommend setting yourself (realistic) time limits for a certain study task you want to get done like reading a section of notes or doing a set of maths questions (maybe 30 - 40mins at a time?) Make sure you hold yourself accountable for getting everything you want done in these time limits, as you will then be forced to work quickly and effectively.

with the whole lack of confidence in ability thing, many people who aim high have it as well (including me), probably including the friends you see that work so efficiently. Who knows what happens in their heads. It sucks, because it lowers your resilience and basically makes getting low marks feel way worse than if you had a healthy confidence. I would recommend maybe just marginally lowering your goals and then increasing them gradually when you know how far you feel you can and want to stretch yourself academically. Also, talk to someone you trust about this (maybe even a school counselor) because it will help to clear your head, rationalise your thoughts, and will give you concrete tips on how to manage low self esteem/mental health issues ranging from minor to major. Year 11 and 12 are very stressful and you need support from others so that your mental health doesn't impact your grades.

Good luck with your senior studies and I hope this helped at least a little :)

KingTings

HSC
As the term goes on, you will get more and more resources and thus your amount of study time will go up and become more efficient. for the first few weeks, focus on nailing the concepts which your available resources cover. Also, to combat the issue of sitting around aimlessly and not getting much done with your time, I recommend setting yourself (realistic) time limits for a certain study task you want to get done like reading a section of notes or doing a set of maths questions (maybe 30 - 40mins at a time?) Make sure you hold yourself accountable for getting everything you want done in these time limits, as you will then be forced to work quickly and effectively.

with the whole lack of confidence in ability thing, many people who aim high have it as well (including me), probably including the friends you see that work so efficiently. Who knows what happens in their heads. It sucks, because it lowers your resilience and basically makes getting low marks feel way worse than if you had a healthy confidence. I would recommend maybe just marginally lowering your goals and then increasing them gradually when you know how far you feel you can and want to stretch yourself academically. Also, talk to someone you trust about this (maybe even a school counselor) because it will help to clear your head, rationalise your thoughts, and will give you concrete tips on how to manage low self esteem/mental health issues ranging from minor to major. Year 11 and 12 are very stressful and you need support from others so that your mental health doesn't impact your grades.

Good luck with your senior studies and I hope this helped at least a little :)
This helped alot :lol:. I'll try remain confident and work efficiently.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)