Subject help!! (1 Viewer)

Aviator_13

HSC
Hey guys im confused on what to choose. What lineup is better in your opinion and why?

Physics
Chemistry
Biology
SOR 1
Advanced English
3U Mathematics

Phys
Chemistry
Economics
3U maths
Advanced English
SOR 1

And i also dont know if i should stick with advanced or drop down to standard.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Stay in Advanced English.

Consider teacher quality (Are they HSC markers?)

School's performance in subjects in the HSC from previous year (consult school HSC reports/ topscores.net)

What career are you thinking of doing? ATAR aim?

fires

HSC
N/A
Eco scales higher than bio and eco's apparently as much effort as bio in terms of memorisation and content. However eco has difficult concepts to understand but the syllabus isn't changing so past papers are still relevant as opposed to bio which has a new syllabus rendering past papers for bio useless. Many teachers also reccomend not doing all 3 sciences as the workload is tough but if you can manage time from the beginning it should be fine.

Also keep advanced it's much better than standard and the difference between the two is minimal and some uni's require adv for various courses.

Last edited:

darkk_blu

HSC
I had the same lineup (2) as you and I have a close friend who does Biology and Economics. If you were to choose between them then, I can tell you what I know. Both Biology and Economics and a lot of content and memorizing to do, however, economics is more conceptual and easier to get your head around as you can directly relate it to real life and helps you understand how money moves around the world in a more macro sense. Taking into consideration that you might be doing 3U math, Economics does pose a few math questions but the formulas are very intuitive and its very hard to make the same mistake twice so going through what the teacher gives as examples should be more than enough. You should also keep in mind that Economics also requires you remember statistics for writing essays, this is especially challenging when you have a test and have no idea what the question is and a through understanding of all concepts is key as you basically have you have to at least know the gist of every term and definition. Biology is mostly rote learning. Economics also has a lot better scaling than Biology but you shouldn't worry too much because you already have a great lineup for scaling but I'm probably biased towards economics as I'm doing it for my HSC, I hope this helps.

Last edited:

Aviator_13

HSC
Im aiming for 95+ atar. Honestly im not the best at english. I just dont know how to get better at it. Im literally good in every other subject but english. I just cant seem to write sophisticatedly.

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
If possible, try to stick with English (Advanced). I've heard that it doesn't align particularly well (although I'm not fully sure of this).

I did all three sciences and I will have to admit, the workload is kinda a lot - however, some (but not a lot) of concepts in Biology and Chemistry overlap and so I was able understand stuff a bit quicker since I would have already covered it. However, this was for the old syllabus and I'm not sure if there will be overlapping content in the new syllabus.

I think Economics usually scales a bit better than Biology as well but it really depends on the cohort strength.

As BLIT said, also consider your ATAR goal, teacher quality and how your school went in your subjects.

Also remember to pick the subject that you will enjoy more. If you're interested in it, you'll probably be more motivated to study for it and hence you'll probably get a higher mark for it.

darkk_blu

HSC
There isn't much of a difference between Standard and Advanced. Firstly, they share the same area of study. On top of that, the method for learning each module is almost exactly the same, you go through the rubric, do a few boring sheets to aid with your understanding, read and analyse your text then write an essay. The only difference being that the modules in advanced and standard differ slightly in terms of their level of sophistication and books.

You have almost the exact same workload in standard, in my school, they put everyone who dropped from advanced to standard in the same class, some were even highly encouraged to drop or were "forced to", most of them have lost all motivation and the class is half dead. The only realistic difference for standard and advanced is the level of competition and ultimately scaling, unless you are coming under the top 70% mark, you shouldn't drop. The main reason teachers urge you the drop is the keep you from dragging the other students down. But if you stand up and properly practice writing out essays and the occasional comprehension, you would keep up.

Even if you REALLY are struggling and drop to standard, you also have to keep in mind that there are many people who are really good at English but chose to do standard, you would have a slightly higher rank but you would get scaled down. In the very end, the only thing you can do is to do your best and not end up regretting not working hard enough. Maybe make is a goal to write an essay and hand it in to be marked once every month, your teachers will be more than happy to help mark an essay by seeing someone who is just average make a major effort to improve their studies. Good luck, I hope this helps.

KingTings

HSC
I would recommend the second option as economics gives quite a lot of critical information that you can apply outside of school. May be a bit biased because I low-key hate bio

Jolteon

HSC
Advanced English for sure
Are you sure you want to go to school everyday and look forward to doing 3 sciences every time bc I know I wanted some variation at some point.
I'd opt for Economics but don't forget that it can get tough at times and it isn't something you can cruise through.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)