Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Scaling & Subject Selection

  1. #1
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    1

    Exclamation Scaling & Subject Selection

    Just a few questions

    - I am currently in year 11, and I plan on doing the following subjects in year 12:

    - Biology
    - Economics
    - Legal Studies
    - Modern History
    - Adv Maths
    - Extenstion 1 English
    - Extension History

    How good are all these subjects in regards to scaling ?
    If I drop Biology and Extension 1 English in year 12, will most of my subjects be low scaling ? Thus, will that result in a lower ATAR ?

    Any advice, comments and tips will be greatly appreciated
    Last edited by Munti; 14 Feb 2018 at 8:50 AM.

  2. #2
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Scaling & Subject Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Munti View Post
    Just a few questions

    - I am currently in year 11, and I plan on doing the following subjects in year 12:

    - Biology
    - Economics
    - Legal Studies
    - Modern History
    - Adv Maths
    - Extenstion 1 English
    - Extension History

    How good are all these subjects in regards to scaling ?
    If I drop Biology and Extension 1 English in year 12, will most of my subjects be low scaling ? Thus, will that result in a lower ATAR ?

    Any advice, comments and tips will be greatly appreciated

    Hey, what is your study schedule/timetable and how much study do you do in a day?

  3. #3
    Split arrowhead ichila101's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    HSC
    2017
    Uni Grad
    2021
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    In Australia
    Posts
    171
    Rep Power
    2

    Re: Scaling & Subject Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Munti View Post
    Just a few questions

    - I am currently in year 11, and I plan on doing the following subjects in year 12:

    - Biology
    - Economics
    - Legal Studies
    - Modern History
    - Adv Maths
    - Extenstion 1 English
    - Extension History

    How good are all these subjects in regards to scaling ?
    If I drop Biology and Extension 1 English in year 12, will most of my subjects be low scaling ? Thus, will that result in a lower ATAR ?

    Any advice, comments and tips will be greatly appreciated
    Are you bad at bio and ext 1? If thats the case then it shouldnt be too much of a big deal to drop them and doing low scaling subjects does not equal to getting a low atar.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    MX1/2U - ADV. ENGLISH - BIOLOGY - CHEMISTRY - BUSINESS STUDIES 2017
    Electrical Engineering @UNSW 2018-2021

  4. #4
    Junior Member Frostguard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    HSC
    2018
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    197
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Scaling & Subject Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Munti View Post
    Just a few questions

    - I am currently in year 11, and I plan on doing the following subjects in year 12:

    - Biology
    - Economics
    - Legal Studies
    - Modern History
    - Adv Maths
    - Extenstion 1 English
    - Extension History

    How good are all these subjects in regards to scaling ?
    If I drop Biology and Extension 1 English in year 12, will most of my subjects be low scaling ? Thus, will that result in a lower ATAR ?

    Any advice, comments and tips will be greatly appreciated
    14 units is a lot of units to do in your HSC year, you will be swamped by assessments, homework and assignments, I'm telling you now. We do relatively similar subjects so I'll tell you from experience.
    There's a post on scaling before with some of your subjects but generally Economics, Advanced Maths, Extension 1 English + Advanced English and History Extension are the better scaling subjects of your combination. Do well in these subjects and you will most likely get scaled up. As for Biology, Legal Studies and Modern History, these aren't bad but probably decent scaling subjects, so scaling is only good if you do well!!!!
    Even if you drop Bio and Ext1, you should still be good, provided you work harder and refine your essay because that'll be the basis of your subjects and skills. Remember that scaling doesn't mean jack if you do bad in it, do well in your exams and assessments and scaling should bring you up.
    Oh yeah as I mentioned before, your subjects are relatively spread out so it means your subjects are from different faculties (well in my school they are). If your school is similar to mine it means I have 7 different subjects from 6 difficult faculties and that means my assessments are basically near each other. Sometimes you may have 3 different assessments in just one week (I did and it was awful but I got through it and you most certainly will too!!!)
    Just stay on your work, get organised and do not fall behind or all your content will catch up to you and you'll be stressed af lol
    I spend too much time on this website

    HSC 2018!!

    English Advanced Genny Maths Biology Legal Studies Modern History Economics History Extension

  5. #5
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Scaling & Subject Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by StudentRN View Post
    Hey, what is your study schedule/timetable and how much study do you do in a day?
    At the moment I only spend about 1-2 hours a day studying (mainly just writing notes, doing school & tutoring hw, super quick revision). I don’t necessarily do extra work or study ahead of everyone else AS OF YET (mostly because I’m a lazy ass and I haven’t really gotten into a set routine yet). I study more for subjects I’m weaker at (math and biology), and less for subjects that are my strengths and I really enjoy (Modern History, Legal Studies). I don’t follow a set timetable because as soon as I make one, I tend to just not follow it completely because it doesn’t suit my current priorities and/or my situation. Sorry for the overload of info, but any tips would be greatly appreciated

  6. #6
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Scaling & Subject Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by ichila101 View Post
    Are you bad at bio and ext 1? If thats the case then it shouldnt be too much of a big deal to drop them and doing low scaling subjects does not equal to getting a low atar.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    I’m not necessarily bad at biology, but because my other subjects are also really content heavy I kind of struggle with all of the information, AND I also don’t really like the subject, meaning I won’t have the motivation to study for it. For Extension 1 English, my class is very competitive and genuinely super smart, and I know it’s early days but, I don’t think I’m going to rank that well in it. It also seems like a lot of workload for one unit, so I’d rather pick up extension history in year 12 as I enjoy it way more. Any advice would be great ! Thanks

  7. #7
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Scaling & Subject Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostguard View Post
    14 units is a lot of units to do in your HSC year, you will be swamped by assessments, homework and assignments, I'm telling you now. We do relatively similar subjects so I'll tell you from experience.
    There's a post on scaling before with some of your subjects but generally Economics, Advanced Maths, Extension 1 English + Advanced English and History Extension are the better scaling subjects of your combination. Do well in these subjects and you will most likely get scaled up. As for Biology, Legal Studies and Modern History, these aren't bad but probably decent scaling subjects, so scaling is only good if you do well!!!!
    Even if you drop Bio and Ext1, you should still be good, provided you work harder and refine your essay because that'll be the basis of your subjects and skills. Remember that scaling doesn't mean jack if you do bad in it, do well in your exams and assessments and scaling should bring you up.
    Oh yeah as I mentioned before, your subjects are relatively spread out so it means your subjects are from different faculties (well in my school they are). If your school is similar to mine it means I have 7 different subjects from 6 difficult faculties and that means my assessments are basically near each other. Sometimes you may have 3 different assessments in just one week (I did and it was awful but I got through it and you most certainly will too!!!)
    Just stay on your work, get organised and do not fall behind or all your content will catch up to you and you'll be stressed af lol
    Thankyou for your advice ! I really appreciate it Just one question, if I get a mark of perhaps 90 in Legal Studies/Modern History, will my final mark get scaled down significantly do you reckon ? And if I get like an 80 in economics, will that get scaled down a lot ? Thanks !

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Scaling & Subject Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by Munti View Post
    At the moment I only spend about 1-2 hours a day studying (mainly just writing notes, doing school & tutoring hw, super quick revision). I don’t necessarily do extra work or study ahead of everyone else AS OF YET (mostly because I’m a lazy ass and I haven’t really gotten into a set routine yet). I study more for subjects I’m weaker at (math and biology), and less for subjects that are my strengths and I really enjoy (Modern History, Legal Studies). I don’t follow a set timetable because as soon as I make one, I tend to just not follow it completely because it doesn’t suit my current priorities and/or my situation. Sorry for the overload of info, but any tips would be greatly appreciated
    That’s fine 1-2 hours per night is sufficient for year 11

  9. #9
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    HSC
    2019
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    1

    Re: Scaling & Subject Selection

    Quote Originally Posted by StudentRN View Post
    That’s fine 1-2 hours per night is sufficient for year 11
    Should I be doing more in order to get myself a competitive advantage over others ? What else do you recommend I should do ? Thanks

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •