Dropping Extension English? (1 Viewer)

KingTings

HSC
Hey guys,
So I'm currently doing extension English as part of my 13 units and I am contemplating on dropping it. On the plus side I hear it scales well and it also gives me an extra two bonus points to UNSW commerce if I gain at least an E3. Though on the other hand I have stopped enjoying English as much as I previously did and I'm not that good at it in comparison to some of my other class mates (keep in mind I go to a <300 school). I don't do any other extension subjects.
Should I just drop extension English and continue with advanced? Or do I keep it and try to work harder and spend more of my time?
Any input would be nice.

Lumenoria

HSC
Hey there,
I've been exactly where you are right now and I'd say keep it until you have received your mark back for your first assessment task. I understand this may be quite far away though (my first year 11 assessment for English Ext wasn't until May or so), so maybe consider it if you're unable to hand the workload on top of everything else if that is the case. It is quite heavy in that regard, especially for one unit, so having said that, I would NOT keep it if I weren't enjoying it. The standard for essays are through the rough, people who score 90s in Advanced average in the 70s-80s at best in Extension. Extension is something you take because either you're exceptional at English or you really enjoy it, or both. By no means should you continue it if it's purely for scaling - that will fuck you up in the long run, because if you don't enjoy it, you're naturally not motivated to study for it and hence will score lower, making scaling work against you anyway. Having ranked 2nd persistently for both prelim and now the HSC course, I will have to say it is a bloody difficult to master. I have always done well in Advanced with marks persistently in the 90s, so I have the time and means to focus on my weaknesses in Extension - but if you're not doing well in Advanced (which is already quite difficult in itself) in addition to not doing well in Extension, then your workload will literally be through the roof. Particularly if you don't enjoy English to begin with. The only reason I excel is predominantly due to the fact that I enjoy the subject, otherwise I would be failing for sure - the course is quite a handful to say the least. Plus, you have to be super self driven. If you're not ranked in the top 10-15% in Advanced, then I personally would drop Ext to focus on Advanced - it MUST count towards your ATAR, whereas Extension is optional. Moreover, I believe that having a good teacher is imperative in English Ext. Up to you of course, but this is just how I would approach the situation. Take care Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys,
So I'm currently doing extension English as part of my 13 units and I am contemplating on dropping it. On the plus side I hear it scales well and it also gives me an extra two bonus points to UNSW commerce if I gain at least an E3. Though on the other hand I have stopped enjoying English as much as I previously did and I'm not that good at it in comparison to some of my other class mates (keep in mind I go to a <300 school). I don't do any other extension subjects.
Should I just drop extension English and continue with advanced? Or do I keep it and try to work harder and spend more of my time?
Any input would be nice.
DROP IT :D :D :D :D :D

you will be miserable during trials and externals if you don't

KingTings

HSC
Hey there,
I've been exactly where you are right now and I'd say keep it until you have received your mark back for your first assessment task. I understand this may be quite far away though (my first year 11 assessment for English Ext wasn't until May or so), so maybe consider it if you're unable to hand the workload on top of everything else if that is the case. It is quite heavy in that regard, especially for one unit, so having said that, I would NOT keep it if I weren't enjoying it. The standard for essays are through the rough, people who score 90s in Advanced average in the 70s-80s at best in Extension. Extension is something you take because either you're exceptional at English or you really enjoy it, or both. By no means should you continue it if it's purely for scaling - that will fuck you up in the long run, because if you don't enjoy it, you're naturally not motivated to study for it and hence will score lower, making scaling work against you anyway. Having ranked 2nd persistently for both prelim and now the HSC course, I will have to say it is a bloody difficult to master. I have always done well in Advanced with marks persistently in the 90s, so I have the time and means to focus on my weaknesses in Extension - but if you're not doing well in Advanced (which is already quite difficult in itself) in addition to not doing well in Extension, then your workload will literally be through the roof. Particularly if you don't enjoy English to begin with. The only reason I excel is predominantly due to the fact that I enjoy the subject, otherwise I would be failing for sure - the course is quite a handful to say the least. Plus, you have to be super self driven. If you're not ranked in the top 10-15% in Advanced, then I personally would drop Ext to focus on Advanced - it MUST count towards your ATAR, whereas Extension is optional. Moreover, I believe that having a good teacher is imperative in English Ext. Up to you of course, but this is just how I would approach the situation. Take care Xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, I'm not really enjoying extension English and the workload is quite rough (for me at least). I've decided that I'll drop it as I'll have more time to work on other subjects, enjoy extra-curriculars and have an all-rounded time at school. My teacher isn't that great either and I'm able to get a better one due to class changes. I guess I just chose it cause it scaled well and made me sound smart :p Thanks for the input, appreciate it :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)