Can i bounce back? (1 Viewer)

north78

HSC
Recently did my 3 unit and 2 unit maths tests for half yearlies (trigonometry/functions) and completely screwed both, like really bad... :jawdrop:
should I just move on and start studying now for term 3 exams?

And what do you recommend to do past papers now and skip questions that I don't understand
or
do every question in the textbook and work ahead of class

Also do you work in holidays and go hard or relax in holidays and do a little bit of homework and study hard at school

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
I'll try to answer all of your questions as best as I can.

To answer the title, of course you can. You are in prelim, now is the time to screw up and learn from it.

"Should I just move on and start studying now for term 3 exams?"
No, this will come back to haunt you. It is IMPERATIVE that you UNDERSTAND what you got wrong, and WHY. This requires going over the content with you teacher or resources, and developing a deeper understanding of the methods and processes involve as this is what failed you in your half yearlies.

"Do past papers now and skip questions that I don't understand or do every question in the textbook and work ahead of class?"
I'm not entirely sure if this questions are related to each other. You should do every question of relevance in the textbook in the exercises you are learning in class. If you wish to go ahead, that is also a valid option AS LONG AS you understand the content you have covered to a degree that you are happy with. Past papers should work in tandem with textbook study to "check" if you are learning the content and applying it to a broader, more harder range of questions.
So in short, do both - Working ahead is dependent on how comfortable you are though with current content.

"Do you work in holidays or relax?"
I do both. Last holidays, I spent a lot of time covering previous content, working on assignments and essays, and learning new content. I also played a lot of fortnite. As long as you can find an effective balance, it is best to have some time for fun (As it is a holiday) and some time for study.

Remember you are in Yr 11, so now is the time to develop study habits that will carry you in the HSC. Best of luck.

north78

HSC
cheers brotha appreciate the advice

fortnite ahaha

what I meant is like should I attempt so past papers now and do the questions I know how to do at the moment and skip the ones the topics we haven't covered yet in class.

and I read somewhere that you should do every single question in the textbook, of course do the ones that are relevant but other questions provide a broader range I guess

also how do you maintain motivation or good study habits

usually like a week out from exam time most students are in the library at school and working really hard but how should I implement this like 6 weeks before and sustain motivation
because some days really productive other days feel bad and do jack all

do you do revision every couple weeks to keep other topics fresh in your mind (write down formulas, do questions from other chapters)

cheers :spin:

gizdonk2

HSC
If you’re in prelim, tests don’t matter, don’t even study for them. It’s all about learning and remembering the content for next year. I tend to find Asian parents put way too much emphasis on younger years. Just relax, learn and prep for next year.

horse9996

HSC
I agree with a lot of the stuff that’s already been said, but I was just wondering what textbook you use? I would recommend cambridge over MiF

north78

HSC
yeh we have maths in focus for when learning new concepts but my teacher usually gives us 2u and 3unit Fitzpatrick to work from,

I have looked through Cambridge a little bit though

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)