Goal is medicine but nowhere close, advice? (1 Viewer)

smh123

HSC
Medicine is something I desperately want to study and now that I'm in Y11 I feel like the distance between medicine and I is further than ever.

I'm struggling to find volunteer positions that can give me medical experience or at least observe what medicine is really like. I'm not sure when or how to prepare for the UMAT and I feel as though I have no valuable experiences to draw upon if I make it to the interview stage. If anyone knows of any medical volunteer positions for under 18's could you please let me know?

Anddd my time management is so poor that my grades are nowhere near where I want them to be. So, in summation, I feel hopeless in terms of extracurriculars, gaining valuable life experiences and studying to get into med. For those who have made it into med, what advice can you give?

iStudent

HSC
Don't stress about your extracurriculars. Focus on your grades first and foremost. I didn't volunteer at anywhere health related and I still did fine. Nice things like these are really the cherry on top :)

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Medicine is something I desperately want to study and now that I'm in Y11 I feel like the distance between medicine and I is further than ever.

I'm struggling to find volunteer positions that can give me medical experience or at least observe what medicine is really like. I'm not sure when or how to prepare for the UMAT and I feel as though I have no valuable experiences to draw upon if I make it to the interview stage. If anyone knows of any medical volunteer positions for under 18's could you please let me know?

Anddd my time management is so poor that my grades are nowhere near where I want them to be. So, in summation, I feel hopeless in terms of extracurriculars, gaining valuable life experiences and studying to get into med. For those who have made it into med, what advice can you give?
I didn't make it into med cause of UMAT but I'll give some insights:

You don't need any medical experience. You can easily relate retail e.g. my job at ___ has allowed me to improve my communication through customer experience. Soft skills like communication are definitely transferrable to the medicine field.

Try to get some extracurriculars that you like, for example you might like volleyball or volunteering for something or a job. However I think focus on the grades FOR SURE since without good grades the extracurriculars are useless.

swoozie

HSC
Assess weather you want to do medicine for the right reasons. Your still young, it sounds like your really determined to succeed as well. Just keep going mate you’ll be right

smh123

HSC
yeah this is a really good idea, medical experience + volunteer work.
I got a cousin who did this as she does med now at Notre dame :angel: also are you trying to get into under grad or GAMSAT
because if you truly want to do medicine then you can do GAMSAT later on, but yeh try and get your grades up asap lad
First preference is under grad but if that doesn't work out, I'll take the pathway entry.

smh123

HSC
I didn't make it into med cause of UMAT but I'll give some insights:

You don't need any medical experience. You can easily relate retail e.g. my job at ___ has allowed me to improve my communication through customer experience. Soft skills like communication are definitely transferrable to the medicine field.

Try to get some extracurriculars that you like, for example you might like volleyball or volunteering for something or a job. However I think focus on the grades FOR SURE since without good grades the extracurriculars are useless.
Thank you for the clarification. In terms of study habits and time management, how did you manage with the workload?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Thank you for the clarification. In terms of study habits and time management, how did you manage with the workload?
Well I bludged too much doing the heaps of HW we got given so kept staying up late I guess, but yeah just try study efficiently instead of aiming for higher quantities. Probs should've done more extra curriculars since my course only needed around 98 cutoff but all good. I've found to-do lists in uni pretty convenient so it may help you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)