Is English should be counted in the hsc? (1 Viewer)

dontbeasavage

HSC
Hi, I just read an article from this website https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...nts-with-other-strengths-20180603-p4zj7d.html, I was thinking that they should not make English compulsory count for the hsc. There are many reasons why it should count as a optional subject 1. Why you need to learn stuff from a novel by the time you graduated school it's useless 2.Why do you need to learn quotes and techniques 3.Why essays, essay is such a trek especially during time conditions. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Frostguard

HSC
There was a recent post about this on here but I don't think it really should be compulsory but on the other hand I don't know what should be included if english isnt included, it would make ATAR calculations much more volatile (?) or subject to massive changes and below is my opinion, its what i think lol
1) Not all of the stuff you learnt in English was useless, I mean sure you're never gonna analyse poetry or understand discovery/journey/belonging or you're never gonna properly incorporate textual evidence in real life conversations but the skills from analysis will help you become more aware and knowledgeable of the outside world.
2) Ok again, not exactly applicable after university but it depends on what career you're doing but generally learning how to incorporate textual evidence and techniques helps you understand the importance of things and the effects of such quotes and techniques. I mean theyre not very useful but they still have purpose - which is to test your memory and your ability to mold the quote/technique into the essay question.
3) I don't think its so much about the writing the essay itself but it's more about putting you under pressure and stress, just like the real world will do to you (although all you have to do is remember ur prepared essay) but i think the most important thing they want is time management and prioritisation eg do I do my creative first or my essay first, what are my strengths ans weaknesses and how much time should i allocate to each section

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah idk I found english honestly useless so far for my degree, even though we've written 2 reports it didn't apply to those at all. I guess if you're watching a quiz show at home then that is when english has helped me but other than that it hasn't really helped...

Lumenoria

HSC
Honestly, I think it should be compulsory - otherwise with the amount of hate that it is plagued with, people will just neglect it as they won't be incentivised to expend effort into it. Personally, I am one of the fair few that actually enjoy it - I feel like I get a lot out of the lessons and it has helped immensely in elevating the quality of my written expression for other subjects (although that may just be because I have a really good teacher).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Honestly, what schools leave you with shouldn't be related to the content you learn. Idc that Hertz and Crooks debated over the nature of the cathode ray in the 1800s, or that Thomson proved it to be a particle. --> This piece of information itself isn't critical to my life post-school.

The process of learning and retaining information to use in a new scenario, and the application of skills acquired is what school is about in my opinion. From this, both Maths and English are very important subjects as they challenge you in critical thinking skills. This is crucial to any job.

integral95

HSC
thread title: "Is English should be counted in the hsc?"

for your sake I hope not
OHHHH SNAPPP

But yes if it wasn't counted, I wouldn't be surprised if students (myself included) would pick 12 units and completely neglect english, which would basically defeat the point of making English compulsory.

integral95

HSC
Yeah idk I found english honestly useless so far for my degree, even though we've written 2 reports it didn't apply to those at all. I guess if you're watching a quiz show at home then that is when english has helped me but other than that it hasn't really helped...
Brah I recall seeing a Shakespeare question worth 50k in the millionaire hot seat, it might be worth it you never know ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)