Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ahri

Thread: Extension Science 2019

HSC

Talking Extension Science 2019

I'm making this thread because there is no other thread regarding the new course, Extension Science, which will be running next year for year 12 students.
    I'm doing Extension Science beginning next term although there is no useful information I could find out about it. (It is a new course after all) However, I'm interested in how many people are interested in this course (quite a few people in my school contemplating whether they should do it or not).

So who else is interested?

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Extension Science 2019

Haha I actually considering taking science extension but decided not to in the end :x I'm already doing 3U maths and I think doing two extensions is quite daunting. Perhaps others can handle it but I know I personally can't handle the workload at all. Though, I think it is truly a good opportunity if you're willing to put effort into it.

Apparently science extension will be first course to have an online HSC exam. Here's an article I found about it:

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/keeping-up-with-the-times-hsc-moves-online-20180823-p4zzct.html

It seems pretty cool but hopefully no technology issues occur haha

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Do you guys go to selective schools? Interested to hear about which schools are offering it.
    Maths is not a subject, it's a lifestyle choice
    - snipez264

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

Cadet
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by BLIT2014 View Post
    Do you guys go to selective schools? Interested to hear about which schools are offering it.
    I sadly don't go to a selective high school. My school's ranking is actually in the 300s ^^;

But our prinicipal is willing to run it as long as there are enough students interested. I think around 10-15 students in my year group signed up.

HSC

Lmao I go to a selective school and I know quite a few selective schools are not running it simply because too many people would take it. But from what I asked from my head teacher, he said that it would involve working closely with a teacher to work on your project, but also the school hiring a university lecturer/ professional to speak and provide guidance on your project. Sounds interesting though.
    Milo_ likes this.

HSC

I'll most likely be doing - my school is still debating if we will run it.

HSC

Lmao I've been waiting for this course since year 10... whoops. But yep, I'm doing it next year and I'm so so excited hehe.
    2018 Prelim: Adv. English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Investigating Science, Persian Continuers, SOR I (13 Units)
    2019 HSC: Adv. English, Standard Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Investigating Science, Science Extension, Persian Continuers (13 Units)

ATAR Goal:94.00

HSC

nope, i go to a private school though - ranked in the 200's
    2018 Prelim: Adv. English, Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Investigating Science, Persian Continuers, SOR I (13 Units)
    2019 HSC: Adv. English, Standard Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Investigating Science, Science Extension, Persian Continuers (13 Units)

ATAR Goal:94.00

HSC

I am interested in Extension Science, the school was offering it, but not a lot of students wanted to do the course (like a max of 5 people only including myself, 2 of which were definitely going to do it). So ultimately they cancelled it

Who knows, it might be brought back into topic, not sure to be honest. Does sound intriguing.

HSC

Yeah I'll be doing it, that's if I get accepted. Unlike other ext subjects, this will be based on aptitude rather than grades throughout your chosen science subject/s. Then again academic profile still counts. It's just that are you really willing to take the effort into fulfilling a major that such scientists today would similarly also be doing? From my perspective, taking Science Extension is really risky as resources are very limited like past papers (from what I've heard it's a major and also an end of year exam), actual resources similar to this course; like using GSCE, IB, SAT or AICE, etc (Bitsize and Youtube channels that don't cover HSC purely but at least cover some syllabus points like Crash Course, Khan Academy etc). And also teachers are doing this course too for the first time which is another thing to consider. Also here's the syllabus from NESA to read before Year 12 2019 begins and to familiarise yourself with the content.

http://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au...=AJPERES&CVID=

That's basically the only resource I have while i'm trying to find uni lectures on natural philosophy (science as what it is called) which is the first module of this course.
    Anyways, to those starting Year 12 next term G'luck and especially those who are going to be doing Ext. Science.

Thread Information