What should I drop/change for year 12? (1 Viewer)

quickoats

HSC
My year 11 marks have been pretty dismal, and I need some advice on what to do before yr 12
I'm pretty sure I want to drop physics, and maybe pick up 4u maths, but I really don't know if I should drop to Standard English. My dilemma is that I really like English but I've been doing quite poorly recently. I go to the agricultural selective school ranked in the 40s if that changes anything.

My marks are below (my school hasn't given out overall cumulative ranks for task 2 as of yet)

English Advanced - 66%
Mathematics - 100%
Maths Ext 1 - 84%
Economics - 85%
Society and Culture - 85%
Studies of Religion I - 96% (there has only been one task so it's probably not an accurate measure)
Physics - 58%

Should I even drop physics because I'm doing okay at maths?

For English, would it be possible for me to get around the mid-80s next year in Advanced? or should I just do standard when the HSC course starts? I used to be alright at English (A/B student) but now I'm B verging on C.

Please drop any advice or your 2 cents worth - I need as much advice as possible

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd have a look at how previous years cohort performed in the HSC external exams in SOC and Physics. Might potentially be worth waiting before dropping.

Lumenoria

HSC
Dude, I would suggest holding out in Advanced, because your mark isn't irrevocable. If your school is anything like mine, literally 99% of the standard cohort have little to no regard for school, and this will significantly pull you down if you aren't at the top, especially considering they give them the less competent teachers. My friend has a cumulative mark of just 70 after trials and is ranked 2nd lol. Our school only took the top 2/3 of the prelim Advanced cohort into HSC English Advanced, the bottom third were forced into Standard and I just scraped the cutoff. I was ranked 30/67 with a cumulative mark of 73 at the end of prelims, and yeah, it was just not looking good for me. My marks were literally scattered everywhere: I got like a 65, 80, 80, 73 and 76. I actually did English Ext too, and remember the head of English specifically coming in to privately talk to me about her advice on dropping to Standard. This was so demoralising for me because I actually liked English and put in more effort into the subject more than anything, so it felt like all that was for nothing. I ended up staying in Advanced, and have just finished my HSC trials, securing a ranking of 2nd/38 with a cumulative mark of 90. Compared to prelim, my marks for my respective assessment tasks have been: 93, 80, 87, 93, 93, and 92. I got a mark of 96/105 for trials. I got very close to full marks in all sections, with a full mark in AOS essay. This was something I would have never imagined in year 11, because I truly thought I was a lost cause lol. It is difficult to pull yourself to the top for sure, especially if you don't already enjoy English, but with a constant process of drafting, refining and practising, your expertise will grow. When I first sent in my AOS essay draft to my teacher, she said it was a low C range response. I got 15/15 for it in trials. It is certainly not too late, you just have to seek out your errors and work on them. Do mountains of practice essays. Memorise your quotes, instead of full essays. It is the biggest grind, but it will be reflected in your marks. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Also stay in Advanced English. The aligning is a lot better then Standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)