Preparation For Year 12 - Please Help! (1 Viewer)

RhythmKnight

HSC
I am going to be completely honest. I haven't studied much in Year 11, not a bit. I got D's for my Extension 1 Maths Exams due to procrastination. Barely passing Physics. Got B for 1st assessment in Chem and A+ in depth study but I feel like I will get anal-ed in Prelim exam which is in two days. Economics getting 14/20 for essays. Advanced English, getting C's. I know the results aren't funny and I know I can do much better than this. I am planning to take these courses for the HSC:
  • Extension 1 Maths
  • Advanced Maths
  • Advanced English
  • Physics
  • Chemistry
  • Economics
I really want to take Year 12 seriously and try getting 99 ATAR not only to prove others but myself that I can do anything in life. I came to Australia as an immigrant in Year 2 and I found communication to be a major problem in school. Prior to Year 4, I did not really learn much in school because I did not understand the teacher. On top of this the so called 'selective test' was coming - my parents put me in Pre-Uni School with a $1000 fee and I only got about 165 as my score. Still I was as clueless as a monkey... I did not learn from my mistakes and have finally come to realise it now. Right now I go to a semi-selective high school ranked about 110 as a comprehensive student.

Currently I need help finding resources for the new syllabus. I need to get myself a solid Physics and Chemistry Textbook.
For Physics, I did some research and found Physics In Focus, Pearson and Jacaranda to be the best but could anyone tell me which one is the best out of these three? Similarly for Chemistry; Chemistry In Focus or Pearson?

For the Extension 1 Maths Course which is still under the old syllabus: which Textbook would be the best - Cambridge 3U Enhanced or Pearson 3U New Senior(Fitzpatrick) or Terry Lee 3U ? Our school gives us a digital copy of the Maths In Focus

Its Week 9 and my Prelims will finish this Wednesday.After that I am planning to revise all the Prelim Course until the end of Week 10. Then I am going to use the 15 days holiday to finish the first module or the first term content for all subjects. As week 2 or 3 approaches I will do as many practice questions/papers as I can for the rest 4 weeks until the First Assessment tasks start for all subjects. And when the summer holiday begins I am planning to finish all the modules for the courses and keep revising and doing questions for rest of the exams.

Please share your thought on this. Do you think I will be able to do this? Is my expectation too optimistic? Please answer which textbook I should get and last but not least feel free to give me extra info that will help me.

Thanks

ahri

HSC
I've used Physics and Chem in Focus and it's not too bad, not sure about Pearson but most schools go with Pearson for both chem and phys. See what your school is buying before you buy! However, I have heard Pearson is better for chemistry, so if your school doesn't provide textbooks I would go with that. Not sure about Ext 1 maths sorry, but my school uses Cambridge and it's pretty good. I can chuck you a copy if you want (y11 and 12), just chuck me your email.

I think you are a little bit ambitious, you should honestly use your holidays to relax a little. The key is consistent studying not a sudden burst of studying or you will burn out which is really bad and takes a long time to recover. So I would recommend some light revision in holidays, maybe going over topics you are weaker at and then doing constant revision throughout the term (like 2 hours a day or something).

Good luck though, you have the right mindset, all you need to do is implement it.

jjuunnee

HSC
I agree with ahri; this will probably be your last holiday where you can just chill and not worry about studying. But if you still feel like you wanna study, I recommend going over the Ext1 content and making sure you understand it all, as it is still tested in yr 12. Our school uses Cambridge, but the questions are generally harder (and a bit weird) than what you will get in your internal exams and the hsc. Terry Lee might be good??? I use it for 4u but again the questions are a lot harder.

For English, I suggest reading your text before school starts, bc it's easy to do and it's not full on 'studying'. For the other subjects I'm not sure bc I don't do them.

Hope this helps!

RhythmKnight

HSC
Thank you! I will definitely revise the Year 11 content for Ext. Maths.

RhythmKnight

HSC
Thank you! I will try to keep sane and not burn out in the holidays. In saying that, I will still try my best.

HoldingOn

HSC
I wouldn’t be doing any study if I were you. This time next year you will still be studying and have your HSC exams still in front of you. It’s just not feasible.

Velocifire

Critical Hit
HSC
Just saw this post now? I feel like I'm in the same boat as you but only with English. How did things turn out after going silent for nearly 2 years and did you get the ATAR you wanted?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)