How to study English? (1 Viewer)

red152

HSC
I've performed quite poorly in English this year. I haven't put much effort into English, and I would say that I'm about average in advanced. I would really like to get a b6 in English, but my main fear is that it's already too late considering one's skill in English is developed over many years of schooling and by reading and writing a lot... My other subjects next year will be sor1, chem, phys, and 3u, so I won't be developing my writing skills much in those other subjects.

For those who have been in a similar situation to me, how would I go about approaching year 12 English advanced? How do I write, organise and make notes? How do I improve? Is it still possible to obtain a b6?

Robrules3

HSC
To get good marks in English you should try to work on assessments as soon as possible so you can submit drafts and get some feedback. Studying English isn't the same as most other subjects, you can either memorise quotes, techniques or analysis (recommended especially for Mod B), or memorising generic essays (I did this for discovery and Mod C). You can definitely still improve in English, I jumped from 6/12 in prelim (yes I know its a small cohort) to 1/12. My final internal assessment mark this year is a 90

In terms of how to actually study for English, just practise writing essays or paragraphs based on themes and give it to your teacher for feedback. I also like to read band 6 essays online for my texts, it helps you gain an understanding of what you need to get high marks. Once you have read/watched your texts, just make notes on the main themes and ideas and write down evidence for each one. From there its just practising your writing and analysis skills

lucosh

HSC
To get good marks in English you should try to work on assessments as soon as possible so you can submit drafts and get some feedback. Studying English isn't the same as most other subjects, you can either memorise quotes, techniques or analysis (recommended especially for Mod B), or memorising generic essays (I did this for discovery and Mod C). You can definitely still improve in English, I jumped from 6/12 in prelim (yes I know its a small cohort) to 1/12. My final internal assessment mark this year is a 90

In terms of how to actually study for English, just practise writing essays or paragraphs based on themes and give it to your teacher for feedback. I also like to read band 6 essays online for my texts, it helps you gain an understanding of what you need to get high marks. Once you have read/watched your texts, just make notes on the main themes and ideas and write down evidence for each one. From there its just practising your writing and analysis skills
nice answer. Can I ask, what are some websites that are good for reading Band 6 essays that you use?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)