Year 12 Subjects (1 Viewer)

zdf

HSC
Hi,
It's getting closer to the end of Year 11 and beginning of Year 12 and with that, the decision on what subjects to pick up and drop. I've found myself in a bit of a tight situation. I attend a top 25 ranked school and my subjects for Year 11 are:

Extension 1 Math
Advanced Math
Advanced English
Chemistry
Physics
Business Studies
Economics

My situation is that, I'm looking to pick up 4U math as my rank is around 20-25 with my report mark hovering around 90% (in a cohort of 140). However, if I do pick up 4U I'd more or less have to drop one of my 2 unit subjects since 14 units in Year 12 is seemingly absurd. Between Chemistry, Physics, Business Studies and Economics, I definitely want to keep Chemistry and Economics, so I've been trying to decide between dropping Physics or Business Studies.

I'm currently ranked equal 1st in Business Studies, somewhat enjoy it and am confident I can pull off a 93-95 in HSC. As for Physics, I believe I am also ranked 1st however I don't think I'm really interested in it nor do I think I enjoy it that much. However, my Physics teacher had a talk with me and raised a valid point saying something along the lines of, "I think it isnt wise for you to drop Physics since you're doing so well. Sometimes it isnt about what you like in the circumstance where you are doing really well."

So I'm kind of in a conflict between dropping Physics or Business Studies but also in whether or not I should just stick with what I have now and not pick up 4U as I'm not necessarily sure I'd be able to keep up with such a highly demanding subject - both intellectually and in terms of the workload.

ANy thoughts on what I should do? It seems like my options are
12 Units - pickiing up 4U and dropping Physics
12 Units - picking up 4U and dropping Business
13 Units - no changes
14 Units - pick up 4U and not drop anything

Makeone

HSC
If I were you I would drop Chemistry or Economics, but since you said you definitely wanted to keep it, that's not an option I'm guessing.

Although physics complements Maths Ext 2, I would probably drop physics. You said you were doing very well but didn't enjoy it. If the content in Physics gets harder for you, you may not have the motivation to try harder in it because you don't enjoy as much as Business.

If I were me on the other hand, I would say goodbye to Business. I'm not a writing person and I wouldn't be able to keep up with the essay writing in Business, Economics or English.

Anyways, I reckon this decision also depends on other factors as well such as what you want to do in Uni and what you want to pursue as a career, what your strengths are.

I did a lil bit of stalking on your account and you said that you were interested in legal, banking, accounting, marketing, etc. Bro, drop physics (unless you you can drop chemistry then drop it, but that's not a choice).

Hope this helps :)

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi,
It's getting closer to the end of Year 11 and beginning of Year 12 and with that, the decision on what subjects to pick up and drop. I've found myself in a bit of a tight situation. I attend a top 25 ranked school and my subjects for Year 11 are:

Extension 1 Math
Advanced Math
Advanced English
Chemistry
Physics
Business Studies
Economics

My situation is that, I'm looking to pick up 4U math as my rank is around 20-25 with my report mark hovering around 90% (in a cohort of 140). However, if I do pick up 4U I'd more or less have to drop one of my 2 unit subjects since 14 units in Year 12 is seemingly absurd. Between Chemistry, Physics, Business Studies and Economics, I definitely want to keep Chemistry and Economics, so I've been trying to decide between dropping Physics or Business Studies.

I'm currently ranked equal 1st in Business Studies, somewhat enjoy it and am confident I can pull off a 93-95 in HSC. As for Physics, I believe I am also ranked 1st however I don't think I'm really interested in it nor do I think I enjoy it that much. However, my Physics teacher had a talk with me and raised a valid point saying something along the lines of, "I think it isnt wise for you to drop Physics since you're doing so well. Sometimes it isnt about what you like in the circumstance where you are doing really well."

So I'm kind of in a conflict between dropping Physics or Business Studies but also in whether or not I should just stick with what I have now and not pick up 4U as I'm not necessarily sure I'd be able to keep up with such a highly demanding subject - both intellectually and in terms of the workload.

ANy thoughts on what I should do? It seems like my options are
12 Units - pickiing up 4U and dropping Physics
12 Units - picking up 4U and dropping Business
13 Units - no changes
14 Units - pick up 4U and not drop anything
Firstly pick up 4u, you mentioned your mark is good in a top 25 ranked school so you should be fine.
However 4u is a reaaally hard subject, it challenges the best of the best so see how you go for a term or so and then decide.
If you decide to keep it then drop Physics, because as stated up you will have more motivation to study for Business.

impulsebro89

HSC
If you are uninterested in physics then go ahead and drop it. Sure, you may be ranked first, but if you don't enjoy the subject then it will be a pain to study for it in yr 12.

For me personally, I dropped engineering in year 11 even though I was ranked 4/80 ish because I found engineering to be really tedious to study for. I liked the subject, but it was the fact that there weren't that many resources online and that I was so much better at writing reports than the actual calculations (why are moments on an object so hard to calculate?!) so I dropped it.

It's way better to keep a subject you enjoy studying for and are interested in because you'll naturally perform better in the subject.

But ultimately, the decision rests in your hands. If you decide to keep physics and drop business, then that's totally fine too :spin:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I would not suggest 14 units in year 12. Especially given 4 unit should take up ~40% of your overall study time. Does your school have a careers advisor? They may have access to the HSC performance of the top student in the respective subjects, and may be able to provide you with better advice to maximise your potential ATAR.

zdf

HSC
Firstly pick up 4u, you mentioned your mark is good in a top 25 ranked school so you should be fine.
However 4u is a reaaally hard subject, it challenges the best of the best so see how you go for a term or so and then decide.
If you decide to keep it then drop Physics, because as stated up you will have more motivation to study for Business.
On second thoughts, I’m not 100% about 4U. My rank is around 25-30 in my school and I don’t think I’m up there with the top students nor am I confident I will do exceptionally well in 4U because like you said, it’s challenging. Would you be able to compare it to 3U? I feel like I don’t have the level of insight and that next level thinking and application that the top students have.

zdf

HSC
I would not suggest 14 units in year 12. Especially given 4 unit should take up ~40% of your overall study time. Does your school have a careers advisor? They may have access to the HSC performance of the top student in the respective subjects, and may be able to provide you with better advice to maximise your potential ATAR.
Yeah definitely was trying my best to avoid 14 units however our deputy is making kids who have 14 units stick with the 14 before we can drop anything (at around week 6). So I guess even if I do decide to drop something, i’ll have to do 14 units for a bit. However, if I am still undecided by then, do you think doing 14 units until about term 2 is too much?

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah definitely was trying my best to avoid 14 units however our deputy is making kids who have 14 units stick with the 14 before we can drop anything (at around week 6). So I guess even if I do decide to drop something, i’ll have to do 14 units for a bit. However, if I am still undecided by then, do you think doing 14 units until about term 2 is too much?
Yes I think doing 14 units until about term 2 is probably too much.

DJYeetz

HSC
if you don't mind me asking how did you study for each of your subjects as I am in year 10 right now searching for tips to study and you happened to do all my picked subjects.
Thank You.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)