Thread: Lost passion

Cadet
    HSC

Lost passion

Back in Junior School, I was very passionate about STEM. Therefore, i picked these subjects:
    English ADV
    Mathematics EX1 (moving to EX2)
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Engineering Studies
    Software Design & Development
    The problem is, as I progressed through Year 11, I have lost passion for all these subjects bar maths.
    I am not doing well and I legitimately don't want to continue any of them. However, I can only drop Software Design & Development for now, as Mathematics EX2 is a provisional subject.
    What should I do?
    Should I repeat with a different set of subjects?

Cadet
    HSC

Re: Lost passion

Right now, I feel as though I should have done:
    English & Maths
    Investigating Science
    Economics
    Legal Studies
    Chinese Beginners

HSC

I wish is did Chem...
    My prelim subjects are
    English ADV
    Maths/Ext 1 (going into Ext 2)
    Business Studies
    Physics
    Economics
    Studies of Religion (about to drop)

I regret not choosing Chemistry I was such an idiot for doing Economics, since i thought I would be going into the Commerce field, but things do change and I now want to do Medicine at UNSW instead.

So it really depends on what field and career you want to pursue.

HSC

You have a whole year to bring up your game and maybe change study tactics to improve your grades. Maybe try pinpoint why you've lost the passion for each of these subjects...
    If it's an issue with a teacher who doesn't suit your needs; use Khan Academy, attach the faculty staffroom for help from another teacher.
    If it's an issue with the people in the classroom (be it they're too talkative, you blatantly can't deal with them etc.) then move.

I can also see that not understanding the content or being upset with marks can take a real hit upon your motivation to keep going.
    I face the same issue. But if you are okay with the thought of repeating just get through the year for the sakes of gaining experience.

Worst case; you hate your grade and you do the whole thing again but silver lining, you will have a heck lot of experience to apply to doing it again, access to textbooks required and past notes.
    Middle case; you get a so-so grade but find enough to take it to TAFE or something,
    Best case; not shitty grade, free to go to uni.

Pin point your reasons for loss of motivation, then make your decision.

Cadet
    HSC

I simply struggled with my examinations as for Chemistry, Physics and Engineering Studies. I am expecting a really bad mark. I believe getting worst or second to worst in cohort can be a reality in these subjects. Because of that, I started to think I shouldn't have selected the subjects.

Cadet
    HSC
    N/A

You don't need to necessarily repeat.

It is definitely possible for you to touch on your weak areas and fundamentals during Year 12. Try doing that during this break before school starts and see how much you get done.

It may completely shift your perspective of what you are capable of if you set your mind into accomplishing an objective.

Lots of love <3

HSC
    N/A

Not too sure if this is an option at your school but since you've done physics and chemistry for year 11, you can transfer into the investigating science in year 12 and drop both. The investigating science course is researched based so the prerequisite for the year 12 course is one of the sciences courses. Since you pick up the investigating science, you can drop either physics/ chem because you have enough units. Doesn't hurt you asking your science teacher about doing this

Cadet
    HSC

Nah not enough units to drop both
    I will do adv eng, math 4u, chem, phys, engi (4u is provisional so have to do more than 11)

Thread Information