Thread: HSC Marks

zdf
    Cadet
    HSC

HSC Marks

Hi,
    Is there a way to find out the equivalent marks between two subjects?
    For example, what HSC mark in Business Studies would be equivalent to a 92 HSC Mark in Chemistry?

I was on Talent 100 ATAR Calculator and used their 'atar equivalent' column as a means of equating HSC marks but I'm not sure if this is completely accurate
    Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 10.12.46 pm.png
    In the image attached, I adjusted the HSC marks so that the atar equivalents are equal and from this I'm getting that a 94 in Business would be equal to a 92 in Chemistry. Firstly, is this a reasonable way of looking at the equivalent mark for two subjects, and secondly, does that seem right? A 94 in business = a 92 in Chemistry

Thanks
    Preliminary 2018: Advanced English | Mathematics | Mathematics Ext 1 | Chemistry | Physics | Economics | Business Studies

ATAR Goal: 99.00

HSC

Re: HSC Marks

Quote Originally Posted by zdf View Post
    Hi,
    Is there a way to find out the equivalent marks between two subjects?
    For example, what HSC mark in Business Studies would be equivalent to a 92 HSC Mark in Chemistry?

I was on Talent 100 ATAR Calculator and used their 'atar equivalent' column as a means of equating HSC marks but I'm not sure if this is completely accurate
    Screen Shot 2018-10-21 at 10.12.46 pm.png
    In the image attached, I adjusted the HSC marks so that the atar equivalents are equal and from this I'm getting that a 94 in Business would be equal to a 92 in Chemistry. Firstly, is this a reasonable way of looking at the equivalent mark for two subjects, and secondly, does that seem right? A 94 in business = a 92 in Chemistry

Thanks
    Technically yes, buuut its not a good indication and here's why. According to that you would say a 92 in Maths X1 is equivalent to a 92 in chem because of the same atar contribution. However take a look at the percentiles.
    It shows a lot more people achieve that in 3U compared to chem AND it still gives the same contribution. Hence showing that 3U its much easier to obtain a better atar contribution compared to chemistry. So the marks are not really 'worth' the same so to speak

However don't quote me on this, someone might chip in if I'm wrong
    Last edited by Drdusk; 21 Oct 2018 at 11:13 PM.
    UNSW:
    B.Advanced Science(Physics)/B.Science(Computer Science)
    HSC 2018:
    ATAR aim: 95+(Achieved)

HSC
    N/A

Re: HSC Marks

Not exactly sure what that "ATAR equivalent" means in the ATAR calculator. Either way, take ATAR calculators with a grain of salt unless you know they work, otherwise it's just garbage in, garbage out.

Take a look at Table A3 (p44) the 2017 UAC scaling report here: https://www.uac.edu.au/assets/docume...17-NSW-HSC.pdf
    This document gives a comprehensive explanation of how scaling works and how the ATAR is calculated.

According to Table A3, a 94 in Chemistry would contribute about 93.5 points towards your ATAR, whereas a 94 Business Studies would contribute about 89.8 points towards your ATAR. However, there's a note on p22 that states that "Table A3 should not be used as a simple HSC to scaled mark conversion table for reasons explained below". Nonetheless, it's still a relatively good indication of how the marks are scaled between each subject.
    Last edited by blyatman; 22 Oct 2018 at 12:08 PM.
    Computational Fluid Dynamics Engineer (Full-time)
    HSC Mathematics Teacher (Part-time)

M.S. (Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University)
    M.Phil. (Aerospace Engineering)
    B.Eng. (Aerospace Engineering, Honours Class I)
    B.Sc. (Adv. Mathematics, Adv. Physics)

Thread Information