Should I keep 13 units for Year 12? (1 Viewer)

Niicholaii

HSC
Hey all, I'm wondering which subject you think I should drop for Year 12, or if I should even drop anything at all. Here are my Prelim results:

Advanced English: 77/100 (ranked 6/71)
Drama: 85/100 (ranked 5/16)
French Continuers: 83/100 (no ranking as it is done through distance education)
Legal Studies: 94/100 (ranked 3/42)
Society & Culture: 70/100 (ranked 22/45)
Studies of Religion 1: 50/50 (ranked 1/32)
TVET Tourism & Events: (no mark or ranking)

I'm definitely keeping English (rip), Drama, Legal, and SoR, and debating whether to drop French, Society, or Tourism.

French
Pros:
- I get decent marks
- I enjoy learning French
- It is applicable outside of a school environment
Cons:
- Extremely time consuming, I spend nearly all my free periods doing French homework
- Done through distance education which is quite inconvenient

Society & Culture
Pros:
- I enjoy the subject
- I have a fantastic teacher
- I know that I will do better this year as I generally do well with larger assignments/major works
Cons:
- I'm not getting the marks I want

Tourism & Events
Pros:
- Completing the course will give me a Cert III straight out of high school
- Only takes up 4 hours per week
- I feel like the exam won't be extraordinarily difficult
- It scales very well for a Tafe course (almost equal to Drama)
Cons:
- So, so boring
- My teacher has no passion for the subject and nor do I
- I could be using my Tuesday afternoons for something else

Any ideas or suggestions would be very much appreciated :D

blackbird_14

HSC
It seems like you like both French and Society and Culture, and you're just doing Tourism and Events to get that Cert III straight out of high school - do you envision yourself working in the tourism and events industry? If not, I would drop Tourism and Events, and spend that time on French, which you enjoy learning.

sundaesandfries

HSC
Depends how many units the cert III is... if you are missing class time to complete the course the hours missed pile up pretty quickly and impact your other work - speaking from experience. BUT it looks super good on a resume and you can get a job faster (depending on what field you wanna work in).

I'm personally biased with society and culture because our school was pretty shite with it, it also depends how many major works you feel comfortable doing - I did two and loved it because they were my creative/passion outlet but everyone is different. just think about how it will benefit you now and in the future - does it have a practical application?

A language is always a good thing because it activates a different part of your brain and has practical application - it could be good to have a combination of tourism and french if you wanted a side job but depends if you feel like you have enough time to do it

whatever you do, don't do 13 units - it's suicidal. Think about doing an extra 300 hours of work unnecessarily.... other op is to just do a term with the 13 units and then drop one of the subjects :)

sundaesandfries

HSC
Depends how many units the cert III is... if you are missing class time to complete the course the hours missed pile up pretty quickly and impact your other work - speaking from experience. BUT it looks super good on a resume and you can get a job faster (depending on what field you wanna work in).

I'm personally biased with society and culture because our school was pretty shite with it, it also depends how many major works you feel comfortable doing - I did two and loved it because they were my creative/passion outlet but everyone is different. just think about how it will benefit you now and in the future - does it have a practical application?

A language is always a good thing because it activates a different part of your brain and has practical application - it could be good to have a combination of tourism and french if you wanted a side job but depends if you feel like you have enough time to do it

whatever you do, don't do 13 units - it's suicidal. Think about doing an extra 300 hours of work unnecessarily.... other op is to just do a term with the 13 units and then drop one of the subjects :) , regardless I completely understand your connundrum since I did 16 units in year 11 because i didnt want to drop anything but I then had to sacrifice 2U maths in year 12 because I missed too much course work with TAFE

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)