Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blyatman

Thread: Should I swap chem for another subject because of bad teacher?

HSC

Should I swap chem for another subject because of bad teacher?

In kind of a predicament where my teacher is horrible, he rambles on too much and cannot explain separation techniques (first topic) properly, kind of just names it and dosen't explain the process.
    I'm unsure.

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad

Re: Should I swap chem for another subject because of bad teacher?

What are you plans after school? Uni? What type of degree?
    Is it a assumed knowledge/recommended knowledge for your degree?
    What subject are you planning to swap into?
    How does your school perform in the subject?
    Are you guaranteed to get a better teacher?
    l’appel du vide

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

HSC

Well, I plan to do engineering at UTS after school, and yes Chemistry is 'recommended knowledge'.
    As for subjects, I might plan to swap to the new Investigating Science, a few friends have recommended it to me since they are doing and it sounds helpful, the teacher is excellent as well.
    In terms of last year's HSC, there was only 2 band 6's so that's kind of demoralising.

HSC
    N/A

If your teacher sucks, just grab a textbook and learn it yourself lol.
    sida1049 likes this.
    Computational Fluid Dynamics Engineer (Full-time)
    HSC Mathematics Teacher (Part-time)

M.S. (Aeronautics and Astronautics, Purdue University)
    M.Phil. (Aerospace Engineering)
    B.Eng. (Aerospace Engineering, Honours Class I)
    B.Sc. (Adv. Mathematics, Adv. Physics)

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by blyatman View Post
    If your teacher sucks, just grab a textbook and learn it yourself lol.
    This.

OP, you should see your current situation as practice. Once you get to uni, you might find that the teaching styles (or, god forbid, the competence) of your lecturers and tutors to be insufficient for your learning. In that case, often you have no choice but to stick with the course in order to fulfill the requirements of your degree/major, and so you have to learn everything yourself through notes, textbooks and online. Since the HSC is much easier than uni and with way more resources available online and offline, you should definitely put in the effort yourself.

And it's definitely possible to do amazingly well in a subject from self-studying only. The dux of my HSC cohort essentially self-studied the entire extension 2 maths course with the textbook our class uses (with no external tutoring), and performed fantastically.

Also, like you mentioned, chemistry is good to know for your uni course in the future, and that alone is probably enough of an argument for most people to stick with your class.

Bachelor of Science (Advanced Mathematics) III, USYD

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    This.

OP, you should see your current situation as practice. Once you get to uni, you might find that the teaching styles (or, god forbid, the competence) of your lecturers and tutors to be insufficient for your learning. In that case, often you have no choice but to stick with the course in order to fulfill the requirements of your degree/major, and so you have to learn everything yourself through notes, textbooks and online. Since the HSC is much easier than uni and with way more resources available online and offline, you should definitely put in the effort yourself.

And it's definitely possible to do amazingly well in a subject from self-studying only. The dux of my HSC cohort essentially self-studied the entire extension 2 maths course with the textbook our class uses (with no external tutoring), and performed fantastically.

Also, like you mentioned, chemistry is good to know for your uni course in the future, and that alone is probably enough of an argument for most people to stick with your class.
    That's what I've been doing for the past week, I just thought chemistry would be kinda hard to self-teach but I guess I have no choice, Thanks for the replies

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by sida1049 View Post
    This.

That's what I've been doing for the past week, I just thought chemistry would be kinda hard to self-teach but I guess I have no choice, Thanks for the replies

HSC

I self taught myself Ancient History and got a band 6, you’ll be fineeee, just exploit your resources

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSC

I’ve just finished y11 and part of y12 in chemistry with an incompetent teacher. If you keep it for year 11 and see how you yearly goes. Majority of my class failed ours and now about half of us dropped. This makes y12 seen a lot easier as you get a bunch of free periods you didn’t have and gives you the chance to see how you can go and if you want to keep it.
    Good luck

Thread Information