Subject Selections (1 Viewer)

jc82379

HSC
Hi, I'm going into year 11 and am approaching subject selections and am wondering about what subjects to choose.

Guaranteed Subjects (Subjects I know I will choose):
- Extension 1 Maths
- Economics

Subjects I'm Mulling Over (Would Appreciate Advice):
- Business Studies, Legal Studies (Would prefer to choose 1 of the 2)(Would both be too much?)
- English advanced or Extension 1 (Not sure whether extension 1 is worth it in terms of scaling and extra work required)
- Modern History/Physics (Which one scales better?)(And should I be doing extension modern history?)

To summarise my subject selection will potentially look like this:
Extension 1 Maths
Advanced/Extension 1 English
Economics
Legal Studies/Business Studies
Modern History/ Physics

I would appreciate any advice on the scaling of these subjects and whether they are balanced enough in terms of potential workloads.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Can't say too much on if u should do extension English or not, but to decide between modern history and physics, consider what future job you are looking to do. If you want to be an engineer or science field related, then I would do physics, because in uni often in first year engineering courses you have to do some physics subjects, so if you already have that solid base understanding from school it will be much easier later on

KingTings

HSC
May be a bit biased, but as much as I enjoy physics, I regret not choosing legal studies instead.
It isn't too much to choose business, legal and economics as during studying you will find that often the subjects link. This is where it was weird to stop and study physics after I finished business and economics.

You will find business studies fairly easy if you can cope with economics well, business is structured well and easy to study for.
My friends seem to love legal.

I started off with extension 1 english and it was enjoyable, I was just lazy and dropped it.
I also wish I chose extension 1 math, as you can always drop in year 12.

Do not worry about scaling as there are so many 99+ atar kids who did business, economics, legal, genny maths etc.
In saying that, all the subjects you are interested in all scale generally well, almost similar to each other (not too sure on history)

Just choose what you think you will enjoy studying and will have the least amount of stress. Also what you want to do in university like stated above (Adv English and Ext Maths should set you up for most courses).
You have heaps of time to think and choose! Hope this helps.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
1.Consider what you want to do after school. For example does a uni degree have assumed knowledge of any subjects?
2. How your school performs in external exams each year (Maybe able to use it to gauge the teacher quality.
3.Teacher quality
4.Interest
5. Scaling
6. Aptitude in respective subject

These are a number of things that you should keep in mind. Physics scales better then modern history but your ATAR may be higher doing Modern History if you have a better aptitude to it.

In year 11 you will have to do a minimum of 12 units. Most subjects are two units with extensions typically being worth “1 unit”.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
You may be able to start with both legal studies and business studies and later drop one. Maybe have a flick through the syllabus/textbook if you can’t choose both for some reason.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)