0% in english advanced !?!?!?!??! (1 Viewer)

oscarclaw

HSC
I got a zero for my term 1 assessment task in english advanced. Is this an N Award? And does it mean that I'll have to repeat year 11? I really want to do extension 2 english for year 12 so will this jeopardise this? I'm a really good student and I could definitely get an A for the remainder of my english assessments but I stuffed this one up to the point of a 0% So what does this mean? Thank You

The 0% on my assignment was for "plagiarism" even though it was 15% and largely unintentional. But we did a separate reflection which was out of 10 and my teacher said I'm getting a zero for both because "what am I reflecting on my plagiarism" how can I convince her otherwise so that I can get at least a mark for my reflection? Thank you

Last edited:

LemonadeDan

HSC
Hey Oscar, that really sucks mate.

Can't speak for everyone as every school is different and operate under a different system, but in my school we are only able to pick extension 2 in year 12 if you're ranked top 28 in the cohort, we have around 400 students (in Maths and English). I am sure other schools employ a similar system which only allows certain students to pick a high level of Maths/Extension based on their academic ability, so I'd say you're quite screwed, even if you get 100% for the remaining of your exams, that 0% is going to pull your overall down grade a lot.

In my opinion, it's usually better to take it up to the head teachers and ask to have your reflection marked at least; you could also try get your parents to write a LENGTHY complaint letter, that usually does the trick (unless your school's a bunch of dicks)

ChrisMueller

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey man.

To address your questions directly:
1. Entry to EE2 is entirely dependent on your school's rules. They could choose to accept or reject your application based on whatever they like, so unfortunately I can't help you there. (I suggest speaking to your Subject Master/Department Head for English about this.)

2. Your teacher should not be giving you a 0 for your second task if it was an honest reflection on your work. Depending on the reasonableness of your school, you should be able to request a remark - though, you might not get much more.

I'm not sure what your situation is but I would try to explain that you had no intention of plagiarising and that it was an honest mistake. Ask her for strategies about how to avoid it in the future, etc.

But I agree with LemonadeDan, take it to the head teacher.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Agree with the people above however my suggestion is that you should have your parents raise it.

Do your best for the rest of the year, fight to have the test regraded and apply for English Extension 2. It's happened so now execute and react on it.

jimmy.chu232

HSC
I got a zero for my term 1 assessment task in english advanced. Is this an N Award? And does it mean that I'll have to repeat year 11? I really want to do extension 2 english for year 12 so will this jeopardise this? I'm a really good student and I could definitely get an A for the remainder of my english assessments but I stuffed this one up to the point of a 0% So what does this mean? Thank You

The 0% on my assignment was for "plagiarism" even though it was 15% and largely unintentional. But we did a separate reflection which was out of 10 and my teacher said I'm getting a zero for both because "what am I reflecting on my plagiarism" how can I convince her otherwise so that I can get at least a mark for my reflection? Thank you
Here are my thoughts. I apologize if I'm being rude.

If you've sent in a draft and your teacher didn't check for plagiarism carefully then its his/her fault....based on what you said it seems like this

But if you didn't send in a draft to ensure its cool beans and everything, then it is your fault

Also I dont think english teachers are picky as maths teacher about your makrs when choosing ext 2....

Is there a particular reason you want to choose ext 2?

You should probably disregard this assessment in term 1 as it is only worth 30%.....the next two are a combined 70%....the multimodal (40%) and the yearly 30%

MONONYMOUS

HSC
Just a reminder, your marks will reset for Year 12 and you'll start with a clean slate that will go towards generating your ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)