SC Marking/Results Process (1 Viewer)

broly_29

HSC
How Does The Sc Marking Process Work?

I heard that the school certificate marking process works as follows, but i'm not sure if its true:

- 50 marks by writing your name
- half the raw mark u get in sc and then divide it by two and add 50
so for e.g if u get 80 as your raw mark, then it is 50 + 80/2 = 90 (which becomes your final mark)

Is that how the marking process is for school certificate or not?

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
Re: How Does The Sc Marking Process Work?

lol, does it really matter?

Bookie

Banned
HSC

You only get 50 if you write your name on every page. If you miss one I think it's 5 off. But don't worry, I'm pretty sure you'll write your name.

Also fool, according to your second point it's impossible to get an odd mark.

cs01001

HSC

Bookie said:
You only get 50 if you write your name on every page. If you miss one I think it's 5 off. But don't worry, I'm pretty sure you'll write your name.

Also fool, according to your second point it's impossible to get an odd mark.
lol, are you sure you will get 50 marks for just writing your name on every page?

Yea, I wanna know how the marking process works as well, if anyone knows, please tell us.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

cs01001 said:
lol, are you sure you will get 50 marks for just writing your name on every page?

Yea, I wanna know how the marking process works as well, if anyone knows, please tell us.

I have never marked the SC but I have many friends who do it every year.

They tell me the process is similar to the HSC (most having done that as well) except that it is single marked meaning that only one marker reads your response and the Senior Marker check marks some work from each marker in their group each session.

As for moderating the process is exactly the same as the HSC - how I know that is that I have done the moderating for Modern History for a few years and the SC moderators (called judges) have done their training day the same day we did. We all did the same things.

The group of judges will simply look at the question, the marking guideline and the performance descriptor bands and say what they believe the cut-off mark should be on that question for each of the bands. e.g. if a question is marked out of 10 and they think that the question is easy against the marking guideline and performance descriptor band. As a result they might recommend the cut-off as follows: Band 6 = 9/10, Band 5 = 8/10, Band 4 = 6/10, Band 3 = 5/10 and Band 2 = 4/10 with anyone less than that being Band 1. They repeat that for every written response.

For Multiple Choice question they use a % of students in each band who should get the answer correct.

There are 6 of them and they do this independently. Once they have finished the process (and they do it three times) their final recommendations are added up and averaged. This will result in the final cut-off such as 80/100 raw =90/100, 64/100 = 80/100, 52/100 = 70/100, 39/100 = 60/100 and 16/100 = 50/100.

PLEASE NOTE: These numbers are purely fictional and are not to be taken as an indication of any raw marks aligned with any subject to my knowledge. Any subject to which they do apply is purely accidental.

It is very hard to get Band 1 at either SC or HSC level but it is possible and about 1% - 2% of the state in each subject will do so.

Remember that the exam is set out of 100 (except History and Geography which are actually set out of 50 each) but that 50/100 is deemed the bare minimum of achievement. When you see what gets marks at that level you will understand why they say that you virtually get 50% for writing your name on the paper (by the way don't - write your student number).

HSC

so does our skool assessment mark count towards anyfin cauz i hear sum teachers say yes n sum say no:confused:

A l

HSC
N/A

Your school assessments count towards the grade you will receive for you School Certificate (i.e. A/B/C/D/E/N)

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

849848419848948 said:
so does our skool assessment mark count towards anyfin cauz i hear sum teachers say yes n sum say no:confused:

For the SC you receive TWO sets of results for the examinable subjects and neither has any direct bearing on the other.

Your school assessments, including school based exams, will be used by your teachers to determine your grades - A, B, C, D, E. These grades will also be awarded in your electives.

Your SC exam, which you will sit in November state wide, will result in a Band 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

The school grades are based on your teachers assessment of your work based on all the outcomes of the syllabus whereas the exam result is only based on the few outcomes actually assessed in the SC exam.

Obviously students who have worked hard throughout the year and done well on their assessments should do better on the exam than those who haven't but that doesn't always hold up - I have had a few students who have received 'Es' from the school due to lack of effort and have then gone on and received Band 5s in the external exam.

tau281290

HSC

Does that mean the SC mark on the certificate, say 96, is not the raw mark? That also means the person did not only make 4 mistakes?

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC

tau281290 said:
Does that mean the SC mark on the certificate, say 96, is not the raw mark? That also means the person did not only make 4 mistakes?
That's right, it's not necessarily so. It only means that the person got a mark that is three fifith between the raw mark cutoff for 90 and 100.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Re: Obtaining SC Results

The SC marking process started last week with Senior Markers starting on Wednesday (I have colleagues who are Senior Markers at SC) and the rest of the markers were in on Friday or Saturday.

Each group marks one question on the paper and after briefing to set standards (that is what the SMs were doing on Wednesday - locating sample scripts at each of the mark levels) they started actual marking.

At the SC each script is single marked (unlike the HSC which is double marked) but there are regular checks made on the standards through what are called 'control scripts' which every marker marking that question has to mark and if a marker is off on the mark it is explained why they are off and the SM also spot checks each marker throughout the process to ensure that they are marking at the set standard.

The SC will be marked by the end of this week or early next week.

The MC questions are all computer marked which also speeds up the process as these don't need to be seen by a marker.

homijoe

HSC

cem said:
The SC will be marked by the end of this week or early next week.
how come our sc results are released a month later if they are marked 2 weeks after the exam

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

The marking process is just the beginning and they have the HSC to do at the same time.

After all the exams are marked the aligning process has to be finished.

This is where they adjust the raw exam marks to the scaled marks that you get. This process won't begin for SC until part way through the marking process and will finish a week or so afterwards but... the BOS only spends two days in consultation with the various judging panels to finalise these aligned marks. These two days are in early December and will entail all HSC and SC courses over the same two days. One consultation committee might go from SC History to HSC Japanese and then onto 2U Maths before morning tea and so on.

Some HSC subjects have already finished being marked (Geography, Chemistry and Modern History that I know about) but their judging panels haven't finished their work and the SC judging panels won't finish their job until late next week I believe. Some HSC subjects are just beginning the marking process and won't be finished for another two weeks and then they have to finish the judging process before the consultation committees meet.

The Consultation committees ask the judges about how they reached their determination for the cut-offs for the bands and then the committee decides whether to go with the panel's recommendation or not (and the panel isn't told - or at least we weren't told when I was on the judging panel a few years ago - it was one of our complaints that we did all that work and then never got told the result).

The Consultation meetings are usually late in the first week in December and then all the marks have to go into the computers and the results printed. Printing 80,000 results sheets for each SC subject (you get a separate sheet for English, Maths, Science, History, Geography and Computers) plus the actual certificate, which can't be done until all the necessary requirements of the certificate have been met (i.e. after checking students have either done the exams or satisfactorily explained why they didn't do so) takes time - a couple of days at least. Then they have to be put into envelopes and sent to schools. Some of the reason for the delay is simply the sheer number of candidates and the amount of paper required to be sent to each student.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad

cem said:
The marking process is just the beginning and they have the HSC to do at the same time.

After all the exams are marked the aligning process has to be finished.

This is where they adjust the raw exam marks to the scaled marks that you get. This process won't begin for SC until part way through the marking process and will finish a week or so afterwards but...
i thort the sc does not get scaled?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

clintmyster said:
i thort the sc does not get scaled?
It gets aligned.

In other words the mark you actually get isn't the raw mark for the exam.

The 'scaling' in this case is simply deciding where the cut-offs are going to be for the different bands.

Scaling for the HSC involves the comparison between subjects as well as aligning of the marks to the bands.

That aligning process happens for SC and HSC but scaling by comparing results from one subject to another doesn't happen at the SC because no common number, such as the UAI, is needed after the HSC. The HSC scaling process is the one that allows the powers that be to compare the relative ability of students who do say Chemistry with those who do Society and Culture (subjects chosen at random).

The aligning process is the one that allows the BOS to report that about 1% of the state in each subject got less than 50% in the exam. The real percentage is a lot higher but the BOS describes 50% as meeting the minimum standard and not as 'pass' or 'fail'.

I used the word 'scaling' as most students on this thread would be SC students and I assumed that that word would be easier to explain than aligning - sorry.

homijoe

HSC

cem said:
It gets aligned.

In other words the mark you actually get isn't the raw mark for the exam.

The 'scaling' in this case is simply deciding where the cut-offs are going to be for the different bands.

Scaling for the HSC involves the comparison between subjects as well as aligning of the marks to the bands.

That aligning process happens for SC and HSC but scaling by comparing results from one subject to another doesn't happen at the SC because no common number, such as the UAI, is needed after the HSC. The HSC scaling process is the one that allows the powers that be to compare the relative ability of students who do say Chemistry with those who do Society and Culture (subjects chosen at random).

The aligning process is the one that allows the BOS to report that about 1% of the state in each subject got less than 50% in the exam. The real percentage is a lot higher but the BOS describes 50% as meeting the minimum standard and not as 'pass' or 'fail'.

I used the word 'scaling' as most students on this thread would be SC students and I assumed that that word would be easier to explain than aligning - sorry.

So if someone gets 94% as their raw mark in the sct 4 computers or maths is it possible for that mark to go down to 88 or lower than a band 6?:confused:

cs01001

HSC

Marks only get aligned up in the SC. Don't think it ever gets aligned down even in the HSC. I feel marks in computing won't be aligned...

militiaman

HSC

So does this mean that for example (very roughly) in one test the top 10% score raw marks of 95-85, this is then aligned to be closer to 100-90 to have a more accurate band 6?

Not these exact figures of course.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

In all HSC and SC exams the marks are aligned upwards for the bands.

This is because the HSC and SC marks are reported on a scale out of 100 but most students (about 98 - 99%) of students meet the minimum requirement and thus get a reported mark of at least 50 but in reality a large % of students get raw marks less than 50 but meet the requirements of minimum achievement.

The marks reported are the aligned marks not the raw marks.

Most people would be horrified if they saw just how low the raw mark being reported as 50 is in some subjects. Of course these cut-offs vary from year to year but they can be very low.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)