Help Support Exploited Indonesian Workers (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aussiechica

AUSSIECHICA- Hey year tenners! Did you know Nike treats it workers all around the world like crap? Of course you do- everyone knows that all the big MNCs get a kick out of it. But until now, asides from vowing never to buy Nike stuff again (which is a bit nuts, because other companies do it too, so if you dont do your homework, you could be supporting a company just as bad), could you really do anything about it?
Read the below article and voice your support by signing the petition (<http://www.cleanclothes.org/urgent/03-10-23.php> ). If youre really interested subscibe - email <nikewatch-news-subscribe@lists.caa.org.au>
Okay, Ill get off my soapbox now . But, yeah, 2 seconds out of your day MIGHT (no guarantees ;) ) change a life. Sign away lil mosh bunnies!

Urgent Action Required to Support Indonesian Workers

As reported in the introduction, 174 workers who participated in a four-day strike in July at the PT Busana factory have been denied their jobs for the last three months. This case is extremely urgent. Most have now been without income for three months and are struggling to feed themselves and their dependents.

Conditions in the factory are marked by forced overtime, verbal and sexual harassment and serious accidents. Women from the factory told me that when they are forced to work very large amounts of overtime it is common for tired workers in the sewing section to make mistakes which result in the needles from the industrial sewing machines going right through their fingers. They told me that when this happens the factory nurse usually pulls out the needle, applies iodine and a bandage and sends the woman back to work, even though this injury causes a great deal of ongoing pain.

Photographs of women from the factory, more details of the case and a web-petition you can sign can be found on this web-page:
<http://www.cleanclothes.org/urgent/03-10-23.php>

paki_diva

yup...a sad reality....that's all our geo teacher talks about. There's heaps of other companies who do that too...like Barbie. Something really needs to be done...

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
Soo True... I guess we all agree that it does exist in a society that should not tolerate this yet thats reality. I guess we can all do our bit to help out in any shape or form, and if filling out a petetion to get the message across works then i am all for it. Together i believe we can eliminate this scar from the face of the earth.

Laterz
Zahid

Agent Z

HSC
Originally posted by zahid
Soo True... I guess we all agree that it does exist in a society that should not tolerate this yet thats reality. I guess we can all do our bit to help out in any shape or form, and if filling out a petetion to get the message across works then i am all for it. Together i believe we can eliminate this scar from the face of the earth.

Laterz
Zahid
whilst I do not support this either.....these are massive companies we're talking about.....you get in there way they can and will flatten you....its a sad reality of life...unfortunately theres nothing we can do about it..

incidently...you didnt have to post this in every single board on BOS........

:kaz.n:

HSC
Originally posted by Agent Z
whilst I do not support this either.....these are massive companies we're talking about.....you get in there way they can and will flatten you....its a sad reality of life...unfortunately theres nothing we can do about it..
look at the way society operates these days...this is one of the reasons i chose society and culture...

aussiechica

Thanks guys for your support. Yeah, it is terrible about the number of companies that do do this. This petition is only a small start. Unfortunatly, we cant takle all the big fishes at once- but by targeting Nike well have increased the quality of lives of thousands of workers and we can all go back to wearing their pretty stuff without knowing that theres blood on it.

Every signature counts! Thank you all for caring and being aware, you dont know how important that is these days

Agent Z said: - whilst I do not support this either.....these are massive companies we're talking about.....you get in there way they can and will flatten you....its a sad reality of life...unfortunately theres nothing we can do about it..

Me: well, yeah, youre right. They are huge companies and, most times the do get their way, wrong as it is. But Nike are smart. If we are aware of the damage they do, they just might recognise that it aint good for publicity and CUT IT OUT!
Its disgusting and should be stopped. You may be right, this may not make a huge difference, but if you dont try or care at all, well, if youre not part of the solution you must be part of the problem is all. 2 seconds out of your day mate. If your signature does nothing, what have you lost?

I only posted this on 3 boards-- one for yr 10, one for yr 11s, one for yr 12s, as I figured that the years didnt go perving on each other's boards.

Agent Z

HSC
hey aussiechicka, youve got a point, im not saying that you dont. But why are companies such as microsoft doing so well? They see a competitor and then they do one of 3 things

A) Buy them out
B) Create a Similar Product and ship it with windows
C) Since the immensity of their domination, drive them out of competition.

How can the little players win? They are cold, heartless organisations whos number one priority is profit. nothing but.

As good as it seems ausiechicka if you wished that everything in this life is fair, your living in a utopia...

:kaz.n:

HSC
nestle, nike all the MNC's takin over...pittiful...with the amount of profit they get im sure they can afford to pay better wages and.l..im just lost for words...pathetic

Agent Z

HSC
Originally posted by :kaz.n:
nestle, nike all the MNC's takin over...pittiful...with the amount of profit they get im sure they can afford to pay better wages and.l..im just lost for words...pathetic
pathetic..yes
reality..yes

but hey, when have they ever cared about anything/anyone except their networth and their share price?

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by aussiechica

I only posted this on 3 boards-- one for yr 10, one for yr 11s, one for yr 12s, as I figured that the years didnt go perving on each other's boards.

theres no reason for you to cross post

aussiechica

your all right- TNCs/MNCs are taking over and theres little we can do about it. What we can do is make an effort to try and ensure that these MNCs act in a more ethical method on their path to world domination and make them aware that its a priority and that we, the consumer, do actually care. Its they know its an issue for us, itll have to become an issue for them.
Yeah, I know I seem nieve, but I think that if ppl know about this problem and care (like most of you guys have been sayin how awful it is) then eventually big companies may take note.

This, as AgentZ said: '

but hey, when have they ever cared about anything/anyone except their networth and their share price?'

is a sad reality. But if we care, they may be forced to change stuff to prevent it affecting their share price and so on.

Kimmeh said: theres no reason for you to cross post

Im not trying to pick a fight or anything, but I reckon my reasons were fair enough. What forum are you saying I should have posted in to reach all the years?

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
This isn't the place aussiechica. There are far more serious problems around the world with people who are suffering a lot more. But I don't see you posting about them....

Kulazzi

HSC
Originally posted by aussiechica
Kimmeh said: theres no reason for you to cross post

Im not trying to pick a fight or anything, but I reckon my reasons were fair enough. What forum are you saying I should have posted in to reach all the years?
There's a forum called "non-school". You could move your thread there :). I'm pretty sure most people of all ages visit there.

aussiechica

Originally posted by Kulazzi
There's a forum called "non-school". You could move your thread there :). I'm pretty sure most people of all ages visit there.
Oh okay-- Soz, I thought that that place was for people yr 10 and unders. Sorry! Next time Ill post there instead of double posting
:) cheers

Originally posted by Ms 12
This isn't the place aussiechica. There are far more serious problems around the world with people who are suffering a lot more. But I don't see you posting about them....
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? bloody wtf?
I really dont follow you. Are you saying that my issue is not serious or that its too serious or that its ..actually, now I think about it, I have NO idea what youre on about.
If youve got a more serious issue you think we should be focusing on then, dude, really, please, bring it on. Until then, maybe you should work on what youre actually trying to say

aussiechica

Originally posted by Ms 12
I know exactly what I am trying to say, and so do you.
No really, Im not having a go, I totally do not understand your last message. Spell it out for me

aussiechica

Re. The above post
Umm--- is the idiot child me? Or is this talking about someone else?
I dont get it--At no point did I say you cross posted. And yes, I admitted I posted in 3 sections AND APOLOGISED and said I wouldnt do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)